First Strobe Recommendation For Canon WP-DC38 Housing (S95)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archiebald

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,
I just came back from Malaysia where my daughter and I gained our OWD certification. After our course was finished we took on some extra dives where I used the S95 + WP-DC38.

Even though I was concentrating on dive basics rather than the camera most of the time, after post processing the RAW images, I must say I was blown away by some of the results I got using just the internal strobe (close-ups) and natural lighting. Far better than expected.

Already planning the next dive vacation and I would seriously like to add a single strobe to the housing to extend my creativity.

So I am looking for a reasonable strobe + arm + bracket kit that can work with the WP-DC38, not too expensive because I don't know how deeply the bug has bitten yet, and not too cheap that it will disappoint.

Also, I have read up a lot on underwater photography but would appreciate any tips for a newbie.

Thanks in advance

I would recommend the INON S2000 on a flex-arm and tray. In keeping with the compactness of the S95, the INON S2000 is just right. Check out the INON website as they make a lot of accessories and lenses that will work perfectly with he WP-DC38 housing.

INON TOP

Thanks very much!!

By the way, here is a small gallery of some of the shots I managed to get. Close-ups are internal flash, wide shots are natural light, all shot in RAW and post processed in Photoshop. Not sure how good my processed white balance is. Depthe varies from 1-2 meters all the way down to 18 meters.

Paul's Vacation 2011 generated by VisualLightBox.com

Hi,

We carry a couple of packages for a tray/handle/strobe. A Sea &Sea YS-01 strobes would be versatile enough for you and keep up with your increasing skills. It's quite small and compact, and has a spotting light function, too.

Jason get me a better deal than the retail (that everyone else sells) And i'll take one.

I agree with Shoupart.. The YS-01 is almost as powerful as the D-2000 and it is very compact , lightweight and much cheaper than the Inon.

Check our this review and images :
Underwater Strobe Package Review | Fantasea & Sea and Sea

We are offering a number of such packages based on the Fantasea Blue Ray tray , this makes them very competitive in pricing.

Seems you are happy to buy a new flash but if it were me I wouldn't spend 500 on a new flash if I wasn't sure I was going to use it. I'd buy a second hand manual flash.

You can pick up a manual SnS flash on ebay for about $50 and sometimes they come with arms. Not as small as the YS-01 or the Inon but a good thing to learn on.

This assumes the S95 can run in a manual mode. If happy in a couple of years buy a Inon or Sea and Sea flash.

Back
Top Bottom