First time diving Cozumel- Need Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozumel has recently hired a new 'harbor master'.

Cozumel does not get to “hire” its port captain. He is appointed by the director of the Coordinación General de Puertos y Marina Mercante, a part of the federal government’s Secretaría de Comunicaciones y Transportes (SCT).

I've been diving with Aldora for several years and have always found it to be a good value. A two-tank dive with Aldora does cost more than other Cozumel dive ops, but I think you get what you pay for. They use high-pressure steel tanks, usually 100s and 120s (I think they also have some 80s), which allow for long dives, averaging over 70 minutes, even on deeper sites where your max depth will be around 100 feet. The staff is great, the boats are nice, and you get great service. In two dives, we usually log enough time to equal three dives with most operators. On a dollars per minute underwater basis, I think it's a good deal.

Their boats pick up from the Villa Aldora, north of town, at the Aldora Pier, downtown, and at virtually all hotels/resorts south of town. Most dive ops will pick up from resorts south of the caleta and some pick up at the Aldora Pier.

Aldora's dives are definitely not restricted to the 40-60 ft range. Second dives might be in that range, but first dives are deeper, generally 80-100, sometimes a little deeper. There must have been some confusion in your conversation with them. If you were talking to Kay, who handles bookings at the Villa, she has been around for a long time and knows the operation.

I've seen plenty of stuff on the shallower dives. It might have been a lot of sand and rubble right after Wilma, but that's over ten years ago. There is a lot of good diving on shallower reefs.

If the Villa doesn't have a room to suit you, which can happen because it's a small property, I can't help much with lodgings.

Cozumel does not get to “hire” its port captain. He is appointed by the director of the Coordinación General de Puertos y Marina Mercante, a part of the federal government’s Secretaría de Comunicaciones y Transportes (SCT).
I believe that early on the port Captain made a few conservative judgments that many, including myself, questioned. Over the last three or four months I am not aware of any really bad calls. Since he met with some of the local dive industry reps during a protest in October I believe he has truly attempted to take a balanced approach.

We've gone diving with Aldora one time when the port was closed due to a norte. Aldora has a boat on the east side of the island where they can take divers when the port closes. We loved Aldora! The steel tanks were great, the service was outstanding, and their boat was very nice. Can't say enough good things about them.
Thank you. This is what I thought I remember from previous threads but sounds like a nonissue in June.

Many SB regulars return to Scuba Club again and again. My wife and I have stayed at many other places on Coz and dove with numerous excellent operators. Our last 4 trips to Coz we have stayed at SC. We are going again at the end of March.

I am surprised that all the one bedrooms at Villa Aldora are booked for this summer.

Look into Hacienda San Miguel on Calle 10 Norte. They have kitchens/kitchenettes in each room and I have gotten one for about $50 a night on cheaptickets.com using a typical promo code.

A fellow diver recommended a lovely B&B in town and while looking at that I saw another oceanfront condo/villa called Condumel. Looks interesting and just north of town and a few doors south of Aldora Villa. Looks great, full kitchen, ocean front and close enough to Aldora for pickup? Anyone fimilar with this villa/condo?

Hello
I stay at Suites Bahia, simple and not fancy. Free breakfast that is great. Located righht by everything, close to tons of places to eat and shop. About 45 a night. I belive most divee ops will pick you up.

Cozumel has recently hired a new 'harbor master' who is hypersensitive to anything remotely approaching 'sporty' seas, he's very gun-shy, conservative, so the odds of having the harbor closed to diving due to 'weather' are MUCH higher these days then they used to be.

I saw pangas out last week in weather that they should probably not have been out it, so perhaps he is more inconsistent than conservative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom