First time for a hammerhead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ian T

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Unbelievable..

My wife and I saw a 3m massive hammerhead at our local dive site - The Dimaniyat Islands off Oman (Middle-east) - today.
We have never heard of anyone seeing a H-head there and I have been diving there for 3 years now - altogether about 350 dives.
Now, don't you just love it when you have your digital camera set so that it auto-shuts down after 3 minutes to save battery?
Looked over my left shoulder and it came up on us from behind about 2-3m away from me - had to look twice to understand what it was. Grabbed my wife's arm to show her, we both stared at the shark and then I started fiddling with the camera.
Had I gone for the camera and snapped a pic of it before I had shown it to my wife, I believe that my diving days would have been over adn my wife on the next plane out of here.

A flick of the tail and gone it was.

Now, does anyone know more about these than I do? We saw it a meter or so above the bottom at 15m depth. I thought they were pelagic and stayed away from reefs etc?
Very close to where we saw the hh, there was an eagle ray, slightly dead, on the bottom, half the left wing/fin was gone with the characteristic shark bite showing - probably lunch.
We stayed there for a a minute or so, until I realized that it might not be a smart idea to hover between a shark and its food, so we slowly finned away, but...

we are still smiling about it...

That's awesome! My only hammerhead encounter was about the same duration. My wife was able to snap a photo, but I didn't even have time to get my video camera started up.

Back
Top Bottom