First time in 7mm suit - hypothermia must be better!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first wetsuit 3 years ago was a neoprene wetsuit and I hated it. I couldn't barely move, breath, be comfortable, or whatever. Always over heated before entering the water, couldn't freedive in wetsuit alone with a 10lb weightbelt.

I switched to a Henderson Hyperstretch 7mm (no hood) and WOW. Instead of taking 20 minutes to get into the wetsuit with some glide lube to make it easier, took about 30 seconds while I was still standing and had a very snug fit. I changed my gloves from some 5mm neoprene to the Mares Trilastic 3+2 and it is warmer and much more dexterous (in my opinion). I can do things with the Mares glove that I couldn't do with any other and I feel much warmer at depth.

That said, there are some down sides to my Henderston. After 20 dives with it, I noticed it didn't hold its heat as well as when new. Velcro sticks to (and ruins) the material. The back zipper always let cold water (brrr) onto my back for the first minute or so. Peeing usually warmed me up :) . That said, they now have a new Hyperstretch H2 that I understand fixes some of the problems.

I use it now for my warmer (post 66* waters) diving in SoCal waters.

About 140 dives ago I started using an AquaLung SOLAFX (free gift from a neigbor who works for AL) brand new and it is made of the same stretchy material (or something like it) but seems much more durable and warmer. After 140 dives, it looks and feels like the first dive (I do take impeccable care of my gear). It is front zip and has integrated hood. I don't usually start to feel cold (rather, affected by it) until around 80-100 ft and only if it is about 56* or colder. I like it cold, so I probly have a higher tolerance for it. My Henderson I feel cold much less depths and higher temperatures. The AquaLung material feels thicker, and must be, there is clearly a difference.

Given the chance again, I'd take the AquaLung over Henderson, but they are both fine wetsuits. Most women I dive with (wife included) are cold easily so the Henderson may not be your bet, but the H2 I understand might be on par with my SOLAFX. You might give each a try and see how you like it.

These days, when the say "gate is open" you'll see me dart off into a cloud and pop out fully geared up in about 1 minute's time (I do exhadurate). That would not be possible with my neoprene wetsuit. I would finally be doned by the time the divers were returning.

Doing a subsequent dive while the wetsuit is still wet (Henderson or SOLAFX) is very easy and not a bad experience for me. Try doing that with my old neoprene and, I never did a subsequent dive on that wetsuit. I couldn't get back into it.

That farmer john suit is common in rental fleets because it's fairly durable, inexpensive and has enough insulation (thermal characteristics) to keep nearly everyone warm enough even if it does not fit properly. And that's the key phrase: FITS PROPERLY. Hoods and suits, wet or dry, offer a far better experience when they fit correctly. Been diving twenty five years, and I've learned, that if gear does not fit you correctly, it's no bargain no matter how cheap it is.

Only dove Dutch a few times, but I enjoyed it. Have fun!

Nomad

While you can get used to it, my wife has similar problems with wetsuits be it the 7mm for Monterey or the 3mm in Hawaii. She won't even dive in Monterey anymore because it just wasn't fun for her to take 40 minutes to gear up and still be cold because she was also exhausted. Different vendors with different sizing models didn't help. Fix one sticking point, find another one. I'm lucky in that I fit stock sizes but it's sort of pointless when your main dive buddy won't go, anyway.

We just certified for dry suit and I'm holding on to that as a hope. I'm willing to shell out for the expensive gear to get my buddy back and go diving. I'm not sure I would have wanted the extra tasking of diving a drysuit as part of the OW in our local waters but after you've got a handle on the basics it's pretty easy. Then you pay more for undies than a full suit, stay toasty and recover between dives much faster.

One tip that helps a lot, at least for donning the wetsuit. Bring a plastic bag (like a supermarket vegetable bag) and put it over your foot. Scoots right through the leg and out the other end with no snagging. One of the female instructors on our last boat trip shared that one and it really helped my wife out. Once you get both feet in you can stand up to get the calfs and thighs without teetering over.

+1 on the advice to crawl through the racks trying different suits. When you find one that is really good for you at the LDS, note the number and try go get it for your other dives. When I was first starting out there was one suit I'd would have dove in even if it hadn't been through the rinse tank yet. :)

Have fun!

-Rich

Since I'll be doing my open water dives at Dutch Springs this weekend (requires a 7mm wetsuit), the dive shop had me in the pool tonight with full 7mm suit on (plus goves, plus hood, plus booties -- can we say 'michelin woman'.). Spent some time on getting me properly weighted and then reviewed some skills to be get comfy doing them in the getup. (did my class/pool work last month so this was just prep for OW cert)

Ok, hypothermia must be better! Good grief, it was exhausting putting on the gear, and cumbersome getting around in the gear, and let's not talk about getting out of the gear! LOL It was warm though so I'm sure these grievances will be quickly forgotten when I hit the 55 degree water in the quarry!

The single biggest annoyance was the hood. (It is a 'tuckable' one - not sure the proper term). The hood of course affects 'hearing' but also my ability to clear my ears, or be able to tell they are completely clear.

Any suggestions? Or do I just need to live with it? I understand that Dutch requires a 7mm all summer so I'm not sure I can dive without the hood.

Sorry for the rambling gripe session! Must say, it was still good to blow some bubbles . . . :)

Ah, Grasshopper.... that is why DRYSUITS were invented. :wink:

Seriously. Don't invest in any more time, $$ or trouble in diving wet. Put all that extra energy into getting & learning to use a drysuit. You won't regret it!

I am measured to be in a Large 7mm suit... but I went with the XL suit... much more comfortable... although I do get a little more water circulating... but its not so bad... as far as the hood... make sure it had holes at the top... and make sure its not too tight.

I tried on a Henderson Thermoprene 7mm full body suit today and it was easier to put on/take off and more comfortable than the 3mm shorties I wore in Roatan.

Just an FYI for the OP. I felt some of the cheaper neoprene two pieces suits and they felt like tire rubber, I can't imagine what they must feel like on. Try out some of the better material, it's worth it.

Ah, Grasshopper.... that is why DRYSUITS were invented. :wink:

Someone needs to teach grasshopper the ins and outs of 1) buying, 2) maintaining, and 3) using a dry suit before grasshopper invests in one!!! LOL

Thank you to everyone for the tips and encouragement. I made it through the weekend! Your tips really helped with my ears (in particular the flooding the hood). Also, Another diver let me try their thinner, non-tuckable hood which worked very well too. But on the deeper/colder dives, I needed the thicker hood. I did not burn holes in the 'ear's since it was rental gear so I don't know how it will work out. I was also blessed with a very patient instructor (Thanks Jeff!) who made me comfortable taking as much time as needed to equalize my ears.

In the end, the 7 mm wasn't as awful as the first time in it, but it was exhausting gearing up. Fit is truly key in a wetsuit! (ditto for gloves and hood).

BettyRubble

Good to hear things went easier for you. Patience, fit and familiarity go a long ways in this.

Are congratulations in order tonight?

Pete

I managed to get through mine but I initially thought I would either strangle or die of heat prostration. I was in a Pinnacle with a tuckable collar that by itself was a strangler. I got the hood tucked and couldn't get a full breath without holding the neck open. I made it down to the stairs into the quarry and was waiting to go in when I realized that I was overheated and within a few minutes of serious trouble. I went to my knees and asked one of my class mates to get an instructor. They got me in the water and that helped with the heat (although I was continually too warm on the surface even with flushing frequently. The surface was about 60) but I still couldn't breath well. After everyone was in and I'd had some time to recover, the instructors called to get ready to descend for the first dive and asked me if I was ok to go. I thought about it and was still having difficulty breathing and said no, I was comfortable going under the way I was geared.

The temporary solution was to pull the hood out of the wet suit which relieved a lot of the breathing problem. I was able to go on with the first 2 dives that way. The rig was actually much better under water. When we got out we went to the box and found a thinner hood (also worn untucked) that did not restrict my breathing.

Overall, my impression was that the 7 mil was too hot on the surface and was chilly by about 20 minutes at 50 degrees. I'll try cold water again but it'll be when I can find equipment that I'm comfortable in. Even with a different hood, I never did like the Pinnacle suit. The collar may restrict water circulation but it also restricted breathing. I also know that I won't usually be hanging around so much on the surface and moving around rather than kneeling on platform will probably help with being chilly.

For now, it's off to the Keys next week where I won't have to deal with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom