First time in Ocean..is this bag ok for airlines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ladyvalea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have this Mesh bag with wheels for my local Dive training, now I'm planning my first trip to Cozumel in June and I wonder if this Mesh style bag is ok for Airline transport?
my husband thinks its ok, but I think the mesh, my get ripped and everyone can see what is in the bag! Is this not the right type of bag for airline travel? I'm really nervous about my first Ocean dive

http://www.scuba.com/shop/display.asp_id_018544

May get ripped then ripped off--while flying....I would not take it, buy 1 of these(below), a mesh inexpensive dive bag and carry it down in your suitcase,cost ~$20...Upon arrival, load it up with your scuba gear you'll be taking off the boat daily (we dive with aldora & leave part or all of our gear on the boat in a dive bag they provide)---I leave my BC & regulator and take everything else back to the Villas to do some shore diving with my 2nd BC & Regulator I bring....good luck, think sensibly about your equipment & you'll be just fine....
flagmeshbag.jpg

Last edited:
You definitely don't want to advertise that you have (expensive) scuba gear in your bag. Not only does mesh have the possibility of ripping open and dropping everything out, but you can also see through it and right to the contents. If someone has any idea of what scuba gear is worth, you could be in trouble.

Find a plain bag (nothing that says "hey, I have scuba gear inside of me!") with wheels. I bought one at Costco last year for maybe $30 and it has served me very well.

Oh, and don't be too nervous about your first ocean dive. Make sure you do a weight check....and then have fun! :D

Don't feel bad - it happens to be a great bag b/c it makes it easy to carry your gear. You can use it for local diving, so you did not waste your money.

Too, although you would need to pay return shipping, so long as it has not been used, you can likely return it for a refund.
(But keep it if you plan on doing any local diving).

Agree you are asking for problems if you put gear in this type of bag and check it on a flight - don't chance it. I use a large black suitcase (w/ wheels) w/ no "scuba/dive" markings whatsoever. (Why advertise what you are carrying : )

And stop worrying - Cozumel is a GREAT place to dive, even for new divers, and you are going to love it - just be up front re your experience with your dive operator, don't be afraid to ask the DM for extra assistance (all the dives with the exception of shore dives in Coz are guided), and don't forget to tip if the service is good.

Thanks! But how do you use this mesh bag with rollar wheels? Just for local diving?
I guess I should have not purchased this:depressed:

We use one just like it for Kitty.

I may be misunderstanding the situation. Please forgive if I am.

Mesh bags are great to take on a boat. You can put in only what you need for the dive without taking undue space on the boat, and when the dive is over, you can carry that sopping wet stuff off the boat with you easily.

Mesh bags make lousy suitcases.

Bring your gear on the plane in almost any kind of suitcase you want. Put the mesh bag inside it along with your gear.

When you are ready to dive, leave the suitcase in your hotel and show up at the boat with your gear in the mesh bag.

I have this Mesh bag with wheels for my local Dive training, now I'm planning my first trip to Cozumel in June and I wonder if this Mesh style bag is ok for Airline transport?
my husband thinks its ok, but I think the mesh, my get ripped and everyone can see what is in the bag! Is this not the right type of bag for airline travel? I'm really nervous about my first Ocean dive

Image for OMS Wheeled Mesh Duffel Bag

I say scrap the equipment, leave it at home and rent when you get there. Takes all the hassle out of the trip. :eyebrow:, I would also do this to the extra baggage fees:mooner: Just my 2cents, have a nice trip.:D

Line the inside of the mag with a couple towels so the gear inside is not visible (and protected). Out of site out of mind! 99.99% of people do not know what OMS is, and then is just the bag. They have no clue what is on the inside.
I check camera gear on planes all the time, it is in tamerac and lowpro bags. (known camera bag company's) I have never had a problem. I just make sure that I am next to the door the bags come out.

I bought a big rectangular canvas duffel type bag with a hard bottom and wheels. Also has a telescoping handle. It's just inside the airlines max size so I don't have to pay oversize fees. So far it's lasted through about 10 dive trips and numerous flights with no damage to the gear. Paid about $40 for it, I believe at Sports Authority. It has a huge outside pocket that I believe was for tennis rackets but my fins fit in there nicely. It's blue and doesn't scream "Expensive dive gear inside" Flattens out nicely if you ever go on a liveaboard also. It's similar to this one:
DY40235_lg

Your mesh bag is only for local gear transport at your destination. The airlines could shred it if you check it.

Back
Top Bottom