First time in Ocean..is this bag ok for airlines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you will be just fine. Here is what I do when I travel to the caribbean. I have a mesh "backpack" type of bag. I can easily put my BC, fins, mask, and regs in it. I actually carry that on the plane with me. Because it is a mesh bag, it will fit in the overhead bin with no problem at all. Then I have a small personal type bag with computer, passport, book, whatever that will fit under the seat.

This way, I know my dive gear is going to make it with me to my final destination and don't have to worry about it being ripped off. I have done this method for the past 19 years and have never ever had a problem doing it this way. Then I just have one bag to check with my clothes (and I put my wetsuit in this suitcase).

So in the end you are only checking one bag and you have your two allowed carry ons. Thus............no extra baggage fees!

Mesh bags are not well suited or intended for checking on a plane. They are useful in many tropical destinations but you want to pack them in your real luggage with other stuff. You put your gear in them when you get to your destination. Handy for storing stuff at the shop or in a locker and taking on the boat or throwing in your car, you don't want to use your regular luggage for that. Too bulky and the salt water will trash most or it.

(Solid) wheeled duffles are great in an airport but I think wheels on a mesh bag are overkill for something you will pack for travel. They just add bulk and weight. And while the wheels may be handy some places, you often won't have a nice smooth path and would be better off with a shoulder strap and/or backpack style straps.

If you dive locally someplace where a mesh bag is useful to store wet gear and roll it from your car to a charter boat and back or whatever on a regular basis, this bag might be useful. Otherwise if not used I'd trade it in for something cheaper without wheels.

LadyValia:

First, congrats on becoming a diver and for choosing Cozumel for your first dive travel trip! You will have an absolute blast... Cozumel has some of the best diving in the world (It is on Jacques Cousteau's top ten list!) and, just as important, a lot of very well run dive operatons.

As far as scuba bags go, you have recieved some very good advice (particularly from ScubaSteve and BoulderJohn). The simple truth is that the best bag to "get you there" is not the best bag to use "once you are there."

For the airplane cargo bay you need something extremely rugged, element proof, LOCKABLE (every major compartment accessable from the outside!) and that does not allow handlers to see what is inside. Any sturdy medium large piece of luggage will do. There are multiple variations of the bag described by ScubaSteve and most are very good. However, if you are on a budget, so will whatever medium/large standard lockable piece of rolling luggage you already own or can borrow from a friend!

In contrast, for the dailly trip to/from your dive site/boat you will want a bag/duffle that is very light weight and mesh so that it breaths (like the bag you already have). The mesh serves two very important functions. First, it allows your gear to drain/dry. And second, it prevents your bag from being perpetually wet, dripping everywhere you go and -- after being wet for a week -- mildewing and stinking to high heaven.

The bottom line is: The bag you already bought is perfect for once you are in Cozumel. All you need to do is follow BoulderJohn's advice, pack it inside your sturdy luggage during transit and transfer your gear into it for your week in Cozumel!

You will not regret having the mesh bag with wheels for local gear transport and you certainly won't regret choosing a trip to Cozumel!!!

P

Back
Top Bottom