First time shooting with Panasonic LX7 - tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So what tips do you have for shooting with the LX7?

What settings in the menus have you found best settings for in regard to shooting video?
Custom settings?
Basic tips for getting started?

So far it looks like two basic shooting modes for me -

1) For normal video - shutter priority, let the camera control the apature settings
2) for macro - switch to apature priority, let the camera control the shutter speed

Setup -

MP4 recording mode with FHD setting
Continuous Auto Focus - on
Multi-metering mode
Auto Focus - using 1-Area setting
Photo Style - standard
Stabilizer - on
Digital zoom - off
LCD display - as bright as possible

Any thing to add or what you find best and why?

Mike
My settings are similar except
I use AVCHD PS mode as I have a workflow to convert the files in MP4, the high profile and higher bitrate do bring better quality
I also tried iZoom and the results are excellent so I use this feature for macro if I only have a +6 diopter
I do not use Digital zoom
LCD display I set it to economy and it is quite bright by itself

For what concerns shooting mode I only shoot in shutter priority. For ambient light I use 1/50 in low light and 1/100 in macro and shallow depth.
The camera is very sharp I don't bother about setting aperture, when you use macro very soon you will hit f/8 even with two 600 lumens
The camera operates at the lowest ISO by default and goes up only when the light is not sufficient. If it is too bright I use the ND filter

Aperture priority and Program end up with inconsistent shutter speeds I do not use those at all, same with manual

Another feature you may want to try is the iDynamic. I set it to OFF but I should have probably used the low or standard setting as it does improve shadows.

I also use Custom mode 1 and 2 because I have a wet lens that needs step zoom and different settings when I use the wet mate

what is izoom ?

Intelligent Zoom is a Panasonic specific digital zoom that does only up to 2x and applies edge sharpening. In photos at 10 megapixels looks gross but in 1080p video it is quite good. I used it in Grenada when I zoomed on the shrimp eyes with two stacked diopters

Haven't brought mine UW yet, but for topside video I like shutter priority, auto focus lock and manual white balance. Will have to give izoom a try.

Anybody use the miniature setting yet??

Ideally in video (subjective I know), the shutter speed will remain the same for the duration of the recorded clip. And for the final rendered movie it will be constant throughout. This is based on the film world's 180 degree shutter angle rule which would exposure the video frame for 1/2 of the time it takes to display it. Example: 30frames per second would use 1/60th of a second for exposure. This is mainly to give a generally acceptable level of motion blur in each frame. If the shutter speed is too fast it will start to look choppy (eg Saving Private Ryan). There are cases where the shutter speed is set considerably faster - think slow motion - this is to give tools that generate artificial frames between real frames very sharp input frames (eg Twixtor).

The other reason for full manual mode (fixing shutter, aperature and iso) is that for the duration of the clip you don't see any ratcheting of the parameters being adjusted by the camera. I think dedicated video cameras do this much more smoothly. DSLR's are rather abrupt. Perhaps the LX7 will do this more visually friendly like the camcorders do? Its easy to test, just record a clip with the shutter speed locked and pan the camera from bright to dark and play back and see if its acceptable to you. On my DSLR, the ISO stepping does not look very pleasing at all.

In bright clear ocean water (eg Cozumel) you can probably set f8, ISO 100 and shutter speed of 1/60th (for 30p) and get great clean video. As soon as you go deep or late afternoon you will start opening up the aperture or increasing the iso (before the start of recording) to get proper exposure. Then do this until the video is just too noisy (from high ISO) or the depth of field is too shallow (from the aperture being wide open).

If the video is just for fun for you and others, then most probably won't even notice most of this stuff. On the other hand, if you are getting more particular about the video and you see the result of the camera automatically stepping ISO or aperture during a clip will probably start to bug you. People seem to love GoPro video and it is automatically changing these parameters all the time. But larger photo based video recorders may not be smooth enough.

Definitely do manual white balancing if possible. The camera will probably do a pretty good job of this to about 60ft or so. After that there is so little red or green left anyways. I prefer camera based manual white balance vs the red filter unless the red filter can be flipped in and out easily underwater.

Oh yeah, after my last trip I was shooting 24p (shutter at 1/47th). I came away not so happy with the look of some of the video. Sure, it was captured to "cinematic" guidelines ... but fish can be quick and when they are moving quick the longer exposures just didn't look that good to me. So, perhaps others will chime in on whether 30p is better for underwater footage or not? That being said, wide angle 24p of an entire scene underwater is very enjoyable to edit, watch, etc :)

On last thing, you may want to shoot more of the video at f8 (or even a bit more stopped down). The depth of field will be rather forgiving and thus less likely to have video clips where you can see the camera trying to autofocus. Once again, perhaps the LX7 can focus rapidly in video mode in which case it would not be as much of an issue.

Seems like a sweet camera!!!

I think the point around the camera compensating the exposure is subjective.
I use shutter priority and if you pan the camera will change exposure however it does not do it too abrupt. Also the LX7 has an exposure/focus lock feature that you can set to lock focus or exposure or both. Setting it on exposure lock achieves the purpose of avoiding adjustments to ISO and aperture however of course some scenes will be over or under exposed.
The point is that even the human eye does the same adjusting exposure by closing the iris the issue is that compact cameras like the LX7 do not offer auto ISO in manual that would be very useful

On the f/8 subject the lens of the LX7 is extremely sharp and the sensor is only 1/1.7 " the image is sharp even at f/1.4 to be honest and depth of field is not an issue.
Even in macro with good lights the camera closes aperture by itself so really there is not much of a need to shoot in full manual as far as I can see unless you want to have some kind of effect

For what concerns what shutter speed to set with plenty of light you will work at 1/100 in PAL and 1/125 in NTSC using AVCHD progressive as format. With less light you will work at 1/50 or 1/60 depending on Tv system
When you then convert it to 25 or 30 fps the scenes where you recorded at 1/100 or 1/125 such as macro or shallow will look crisp and those at depth where you recorded at 1/50 or 1/60 will look slightly less sharp but with little noise

I shot with a Sony RX100 that would always shoot in Program with 1/100 and increase the ISO up to the max, some of the footage at depth as result is noisy this does not happen if you control the shutter speed

Is everyone using a 64gb card? I've got a couple of 16gb cards that I used when I was just shooting stills, but with video I'm thinking those are going to be too small.

Back
Top Bottom