First time Strobe for P&S $400-$500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing rad21! That first picture is fantastic! Makes me think about the YS-01 for the focus light.

Does anyone have experience with this package deal that I've seen float around the web:

I saw that too and am also looking at something of that configuration, but that price seems too good to be true. I'm going to give them a ring tomorrow and perhaps order one. If so I'll let you know how things work out.

Does anyone have experience with this package deal that I've seen float around the web:

I ordered the package, and I received everything as advertised. The batteries aren't that great. Although they are advertised as 2900mah batteries, when I broke them in using my Maha MH-C9000, all of them were showing less than 2000mah capacity. Also, depending on your housing, you might also want to get the strobe mask set.

I saw that too and am also looking at something of that configuration, but that price seems too good to be true. I'm going to give them a ring tomorrow and perhaps order one. If so I'll let you know how things work out.

I bought almost the same package (I didn't bother with the additional batteries since I have a ton already, but otherwise identical from the same place) a couple of months ago, and had more or less exactly the same thought. I ordered, figuring that as long as the strobe was intact and genuine, I was paying the same as many other deals for that alone. Everything arrived, and it is either the world's most committed counterfeit job or the real deal - YS-01, complete sea arm VII with everything necessary to connect to my G11 housing and a fiberoptic cable. I'll probably be ordering a second before I go diving again.

It has done 20 dives so far with no sign of a problem. Pictures from the trip, with the G11 plus a single YS-01 are here.

Dave

Hey rusti999,

Not trying to hijack this post, but is the strobe mask set you listed, the fibre optic pick up that would fit over the camera flash? If so do you know how much they go for? I think I'll be picking up this set too.

Cheers,

Hey rusti999,

Not trying to hijack this post, but is the strobe mask set you listed, the fibre optic pick up that would fit over the camera flash? If so do you know how much they go for? I think I'll be picking up this set too.

Cheers,

Terryb, I got the strobe mask set from B&H Photo Video for US$29.95 with free shipping. I plan to set it up like what's shown on the thread below (cannot post URLs yet, do a search for it, the thread is in the Canon Corner forum; my setup is a Canon A720is with a WP-DC16 housing):

Canon G10 housing (WP-DC28) strobe mask

The fiber optic cable should fit nicely with the included grommet.

Sorry, been messing with the new gear for a few days. I also ended up getting the YS-01 package I listed. I think I slightly prefer the Inon strobes, but for the price this package was unbeatable. Perfect for starting out. I also got the Sea $ Sea mask for the strobe so that I could connect the fiber-optic cable that comes with the package. Another approach would be there are companies like Optical Ocean Sales that sell modified cables that will work. I couldn't wait for shipping so I paid $36 for the mask set locally.

As stated at the beginning of the thread, I'm shooting a Fujifilm F200EXR with the Fujifilm housing. I ordered a Fantasea BigEye lens and will post pictures from our Thanksgiving trip to Kona when I get back. Just glad to have a strobe and be done researching! :)

Hey everyone!

I recently got back from Hawaii, using the strobe system and camera I posted earlier. I had a wonderful time using it all, and though I'm still learning to use it all, I think I got some pretty decent photos. Here's a link to them on my fb account if you want to check them out. Let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer now that I made my decision and have used the system. Thanks again to everyone for their advice!!!

Login | Facebook

Hey divertimmy,

Do you have your photos posted anywhere else, I don't have facebook, still trying to resist. I just ordered the same Ys-01 package from Cameta as well. Great price, no other company would come close to matching the price and a number of them suggested the price was way to good to be original equipment. Looking forward to taking mine out to Thailand in Feb.

Cheers,

Try this link: Diving Kona Coast Hawaii 2010 pictures by divertimmy - Photobucket

And I totally agree with you. In the end I think the Inon is probably the better strobe, but you can't beat this strobe set up for an entry level system. Besides, I still have much to learn about how to use strobes before a higher end one will do me much good, lol. Here's to hoping for one published picture some day! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom