First time to dive Mexico Caves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've probably watched a ton of video already, but here's one I recently found with footage from several of the classics that you might dive. It also has some nice illustration of how the halocline messes with the vis in Eden(River Run), which is going on my list for my May trip.

Have fun and be safe. :wink:

My next cert is cavern, on my way to a cave certification. I am wanting to make a trip down to Cancun/Coz sometime soon.

We've now done 3 days of diving. 1st day was Grand Cenote & Chac Mool. Grand Cenote was very pretty. Chac Mool gave me my first taste of a halocline. Not really a big deal, the visual distortions in the halocline were interesting. 2nd day we dove in Cenote Pet Cemetery. Very nice stone formations. On dive 2 I got to experience my first complete silt- out. No big deal, the line was right beside me, I immediately got on it, the dive was called & I swam back to clear water, just as I wast trained to do. Overall, the dives were great! Day 3 we dove Tux Kabaxa (SP?). We did a 100 min dive up the mainline. Very pretty, but a massively long swim. Dive 2 we went looking for the line to the Bone room, But were unable to locate it. Not absolutely sure of the dive location for today. Guess I'll find out when we get there. As for weighting, I wore 6 lbs on my harness belt 1st day, 2nd day I wore a 1.5kg v-weight. Yesterday at Tux, I forgot to put any weight on & did just fine,.... so now I have my answer,.... I need no weight in double AL 80's,.... a good thing.

Sounds like you're having fun. How did the silt-out come about?

It appears the lines had been moved & the guide started to take us down what would quickly become a sidemount passage (we were all in backmount). I twas a rather tight, "dusty" passage. Just our movement stirred it up.

sounds great, tammy. glad you're having fun! be safe, girl.

the diving was pretty cool in mexico i thought, but the people and the food and the beaches are what made it awesome.

Did one 90 min. dive at Centote Minatauro. Very interesting system. A little bit of everything. Some rock formations, More breakdown than I've ever seen. Some areas tight, some rooms,... absolutely huge. Some Halocline (skimming over top of it was super cool). Some shallow (10 ft) some deeper (45 ft).

Tammy,

I have dived Chac Mool. You are right about the halocilnes.

Have fun. Love the reports.

Dave.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom