First time traveler - airline rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have a little low profile adjustable wrench in my save a dive kit but...not little enough. I'll fix that prior to going.
From the TSA website:

Wrenches/Pliers

Carry On Bags:
Yes (Special Instructions)
Checked Bags:
Yes
Tools longer than 7 inches (measured from end to end when assembled) are prohibited in carry-on baggage; these items must be packed in your checked bags.
I have a small adjustable wrench, luckily it is just over 6 inches long, it's been measured twice

It's really solely up to the TSA agent you deal with. If they think it's not allowed - it's basically not. There may be ways to challenge this if you have the day to sit at the airport and argue the point and getting hauled into interrogation room. If I have anything that is questionable, I'll print off the TSA website info and tape it to the item. I did this with my AGM battery for my canister light - It was pulled aside at every checkpoint but as it was clearly identified/labeled it passed quickly). A co-worker lost his pocket knife recently. It was allowed on his trip out and in the docs, but on return trip the tsa confiscated it. co-worker didn't have time to put up a challenge but saw the tsa guy put it in his pocket as he walked away... As checked bags may also be searched and stuff taken you take your chances either way. If possible contact all the airports and get specific details on the item and have that with you. I've never lost anything so far. For carry on - the rules change and not every TSA agent knows everything, so they have to make a judgement call - being prepared with their own documentation is hopefully a helpful start.

In Philippines I had to check in my regs, different countries different regulations.
In Mexico, they didn't like my rechargeable batteries, I had to put them into my strobes.
Nail clippers are always confiscated. Any tool, like allen keys not allowed into the plane.

Back
Top Bottom