first trip : maybe Sinai Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cygnusx04

New
Reaction score
Never dived before, potentially could be booking a trip to hotel Savoy in Sharm El Sheikh located at Sinai in Egypt. Thinking of September.

couple of noobie questions.

1) any one stayed in this hotel before? Is it any good? Read some reports about the food being sub standard.
2) Sounds like this is a top place to dive?
3) what are conditions like in September?

4) Is it worth me learning some basics in my local pool or should i just wait till i'm out there? Is there a level i can reach in a pool? Which would save me time when out in Egypt? Or would they require some kind of qualification proving my competence?

thanks in advance

D

I'm against learning to dive when on holiday simply because it will eat into how fun your holiday dives will be. It's much more interesting using the dive time to explore rather than doing fin pivots :/. also you don't want to be stuck in a classroom when its 35 degrees outside learning basic dive theory :>.

I would suggest doing the confined water in your own country and maybe getting a refferal to do the open water dives in Sharm. better still would be to do the open water in your own country (although this is expensive). As its Sharm i'm guessing its a 7 day max holiday? do you really want to waste 3 days out of 5? doing skills?

Oh and i've answered your question anyways. Yes there is alot you can do before you go, and yes it will save you alot of time. and yes this would be a qualification.

cygnusx04:
Never dived before, potentially could be booking a trip to hotel Savoy in Sharm El Sheikh located at Sinai in Egypt. Thinking of September.

couple of noobie questions.

1) any one stayed in this hotel before? Is it any good? Read some reports about the food being sub standard.
This is a very good hotel with great view over the Naama Bay. Food is also good.
cygnusx04:
2) Sounds like this is a top place to dive?
Sharm and the Red Sea is a worldwide top of diving places
cygnusx04:
3) what are conditions like in September?
September is very warm. Average air temp is around 30 - 35 Centigrade, water temp - 25 - 28 Centigrade

cygnusx04:
4) Is it worth me learning some basics in my local pool or should i just wait till i'm out there? Is there a level i can reach in a pool? Which would save me time when out in Egypt? Or would they require some kind of qualification proving my competence?
That really depends. I did my Open water course (the first certificate you get) in sharm. But I went there to do it - so it was planned. To be honest i spent only one day in the pool, rest of the things were done in the sea. But OK, I dove before I was certified.
If this would be your first trip to Egypt you can read my tips I once made here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=68804&highlight=Egypt,+tips
Hope you will find some of them usefull.
If you have any other questions - feel free to ask - I know Sharm very well.
Cheers
Mania

i did my OW and AOW in sharm in one week, was knackered but was great to get it all done somewhere warm, i wouldn't want to learn in Stoney Cove or any murky lake where vis is crap. We worked hard but still had fun. Saying that you do feel a bit spoilt when you realise how good learning in the Red Sea was. Do it. I dive over here and enjoy everytime, off to egypt tomorrow....lucky me.. may not come back

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom