First Trip to Cozumel - 1 Diver / 1 Non-Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NINman

Reaction score
Hi,

Man I have missed this message board, but anyways. My wife and I are looking to go on a well-needed vacation around the beginning of May. I dive but my wife does not, so this is what I want to do:

1. I would like to get at least 1 dive a day in, maybe 2. I would also like to get a night dive in. Most of these dives would be in the morning; my wife just loves to sleep. Also is it easy to find a buddy, I have only 18 dive's all in cold fresh water

2. Need many other activities other then just diving. Shopping, biking, tours, enterainment, etc. We are big partiers, but we do want a little night life, we just don't want to get bored also. (I don't want my wife to be bored, I can always dive)

Can anyone suggest some places we should check out that can fulfil these requests?

Please keep in mind Cozumel isn't the only place we can go, so if there is another country that would fit us better please feel free to let us know.

Thanks.

Hi Brad:
Glad you found the board again. You might be surprised at my answer to your questions.
But the truth is, I never go on a trip without doing this first.
I go to the library. I'm a big library person and never miss a week without going there.
Go to the travel section. Pick out a Foders, or Frommers or several others on the Caribbean and Mexico.
Let your wife read through them and see what catches her fancy.
The Bahamas, Belize, Bonaire, all have what your asking for. So does St. Thomas, and Tortola, and Virgin Gorda. Since you can dive at all of those place, let her decide.
Have fun!

How many days for your vacation?

Cozumel is a great place for divers, but it isn't packed with things for your wife to do. When my hubby was sidelined, after 3 days, he had had enough of shopping, sun bathing, going to the Market, etc.

FYI: If you go out on a dive in the morning, you will probably do two dives before you come in at around noon.

Thanks for the replys already and sorry for not metioning how many days we have. We would like to go for 7 days. So far she was been looking at Coz the most, but as you have stated that Coz isn't packed with things for her to do. What do you suggest would be an alternitive? Thanks again.

Brad - just a thought - have you considered a cruise?? Probably wouldn't be able to do a night dive, but you could schedule a dive in every port you visist - and your wife would have plenty to do on or off the ship...

I was thinking that the Keys might be good for you. I'd recommend Key Largo over Key West because the diving is better (Key West reefs are still in recovery).
It has the advantage of being a U.S. territory, so no money converstion or language concerns.

Just a thought. --Starfish :)

Well she has decided. We are taking a cruse. We are using Norwegian Cruse Lines out of Miama for a 7 day run with stops in George Town - Grand Cayman, Roatan, Bay Islands, Belize City, and Cozumel. This is what I have planed. I would like to get a morning dive in Belize and a morning dive in Cozumel. If anyone has any experiance with this let me know. I may just have better luck doing shore dive's. I really don't want to be out diving most of the time while I wife sits around. I also don't want to miss the diving. Well thanks for all the input and a double thanks to martinjc for reminding me about cruses!!!!

I have been to Cozumel twice and both times stayed at the Allegro Resort. I too have the same problem, my husband can't stand scuba diving.

The hotel is great. It is an all inclusive with a dive shop on site. Dive Palancar. From what i can see the prices are reasonable and there are always people there that need buddies.

If you get tired of diving...not likely there are other things to do . San Miquel is about a 15min taxi ride, and there is plenty of shopping and nightlife. The hotel also has nightly entertainment. The resort is beautiful with two pools a great beach, and activities all day.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone.
any more questions, drop me a line.

No problem, Brad! Hope you have a great time!!! (We're taking the kids on a 7 day Disney cruise in October. I hope to get a morning dive in during our stop in Grand Cayman).

You can shore dive in Cozumel No problemo. cost only for the tanl.
I was there last year and it cost like $5 for the tank and the shore dive is pretty cool if you want to do a nice leisurely 40 foot dive. There is more to do in the land of COZ then you
might think! check out the url below.
http://www.cozumel.travelnotes.cc/cgi-local/index.cgi

Back
Top Bottom