first trip to Egypt...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sveston:
tried that but they are always fully booked... even though my trip is 2 months from now...
By the way, what's with local sites as compared to other sites and what is considered local sites? They always say first day dives will be in local sites... does it mean sheltered sites? sites for checkout dives?

Local dive sites are classed as those that can be reached within about 30mins from the jetty. One of the resons for using local sites on the first day is that it takes a while to sort out all the paperwork & kit hire in the morning & you therefore don't end up leaving until late - remember to take some water to the dive centre with you. They're fairly easy dives without currents so that you can get you buoyancy check done & the guides can suss out what you're like as a diver. Obviously if the president is in residence then you'll be unable to dive some of the local sites & it's off to Ras Mohammed for you.
Let me know if you want anymore info - I have a book with maps of all the regularly used sites in.

phrixus:
Local dive sites are classed as those that can be reached within about 30mins from the jetty. One of the resons for using local sites on the first day is that it takes a while to sort out all the paperwork & kit hire in the morning & you therefore don't end up leaving until late - remember to take some water to the dive centre with you. They're fairly easy dives without currents so that you can get you buoyancy check done & the guides can suss out what you're like as a diver. Obviously if the president is in residence then you'll be unable to dive some of the local sites & it's off to Ras Mohammed for you.
Let me know if you want anymore info - I have a book with maps of all the regularly used sites in.

Hey thanks...

Are these local dive sites?
1) The Straits of Tiran
2) Ras Mohammed
3) Wreck of Thistlegorm
4) Wreck of Dunraven

Is there any local dive sites that are awesome?
Honestly, butterfly fishes and stuff like those are not what I'm looking for really. Things like, schools of jacks, barracudas, bumpheads or one or two whales sharks, hammerheads, mantas, eagles, devil rays etc are. Anything that are only seen here in Red Sea and not elsewhere are too. If the site has lots of beautiful corals, passed thru's, giant wrecks will also make my day.

I got this book "The Red Sea - Dive Guide" by Carletti & Ghisotti. Number 10 to 21 around Sharm. Which are local sites if you got this book as well.

Thanks

sveston:
Hey thanks...

Are these local dive sites?
1) The Straits of Tiran
2) Ras Mohammed
3) Wreck of Thistlegorm
4) Wreck of Dunraven

Is there any local dive sites that are awesome?
Honestly, butterfly fishes and stuff like those are not what I'm looking for really. Things like, schools of jacks, barracudas, bumpheads or one or two whales sharks, hammerheads, mantas, eagles, devil rays etc are. Anything that are only seen here in Red Sea and not elsewhere are too. If the site has lots of beautiful corals, passed thru's, giant wrecks will also make my day.

I got this book "The Red Sea - Dive Guide" by Carletti & Ghisotti. Number 10 to 21 around Sharm. Which are local sites if you got this book as well.

Thanks

Unfortunately thos ones aren't local dive sites. The straits of Tiran & Ras Mohammed are about 80mins from Naama Bay, Dunraven is about 2.5 hours & Thistlegorm is about 4.5 hours away (& an early start).
The book I've got is called Sharm El Sheikh Diving Guide by Alberto Siliotti. Local sites are those between Ras Ghamila & Ras Katy.

Back
Top Bottom