First Trip to Roatan Sat. April 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Making our first trip to Roatan -arriving April 2 & staying through April 9.
Staying at Anthonys Key Resort.
Anyone else going to be there???

First timers to Roatan . . . what are the "can't misses"????? Any advice?????

The biggest "can't miss" is the shark dive. It is well worth the $100.

It was my most memorable dive so far.

Making our first trip to Roatan -arriving April 2 & staying through April 9.
Staying at Anthonys Key Resort.
Anyone else going to be there???

First timers to Roatan . . . what are the "can't misses"????? Any advice?????

Eagle Rays Restaurant has killer sunsets to view, cold beer, and pretty good food...! Diving... well; some sites may be preferred over others but all in all they are all very good...!!!

Personally, I have not stayed at Anthony's but someone will chime in with more info on the West End area and such...

Roatan is really a wonderful place to go diving from our experience... We stay over at CCV (about mid island south) but have heard good things about AKR... Trust you will enjoy your time! lee

what are the "can't misses"????? Any advice?????

1. Diving
  2. Hammock Time
  3. Restaurants & Bars

For me, I go to Roatan, to dive, relax, and unwind from my normal hectic schedule.

There is a lot to do in Roatan but as far as "Must See, Must Do" activities I think it really just depends on what YOU like to do? Some popular non diving stuff: Zipline Canopy Tours, There is a new Golf Course which is supposed to be world class, There is a submarine adventure, sailing trips, etc. or you could just rent a moped or car and do some exploring (if you rent a moped, please do be careful, as ther is no shoulder on most of the roads, seen a few people take some nasty spills while getting over to let someone pass.)

Some of my favorite Restaurants are:
  • Blue Bahia (very near Anthony's Key)
  • Thong's - Thai food in West End
  • Sundowners - West end - Great place to grab a drink and something simple like a burger
  • Cannibal Cafe - West End - Seafood Burritos are great
  • Lighthouse - West End - Probably the best restaurant with a view on the West end of the island, food is usally pretty good, service has been spotty at times in my opinion.

Quite a few more decent restaurants, and I've heard there are some new ones worth trying (haven't been on island in about a year).

I wouldn't be to worried about having a set itinerary with a big checklist of stuff to do, just relax, have fun. Roatan is great place to visit, enjoy:)

dives:

Spooky Channel - near AKR.
Texas was one of the best - if they go that far west?
Mary's Place - probably by van from there - IDK if they'll run the boat all the way around.

Melissa's Reef nearby was the most disappointing dive we did all week.

I can second the shark dive. Great experience and well worth the money.

They do take the boat around to Mary's place. They take the boat to Maya key on the other side of the island once a week and we dove Mary's place when the boat went there for the trip to the Marine Sanctuary and the replicated Myan ruins. We arrived on Saturday and went there on Tuesday as I think that is the scheduled day for this trip. Here is a link to Maya Key Roatan Cruise and Caribbean Cruise Shore Excursions | Maya Key

Mary's place was a great dive but it does start at around 100 FSW when we dove it. I did the dive with an instructor as a buddy and enjoyed it. I have Fish Den as my favorite dive of the trip. Be sure to buy the professional video they take of a couple of your dives. It will let you relive your trip over and over.:D

Mary's is nice but I have a soft spot for Calvin's crack....!!! Personally, I am not a big fan of the Shark Dives but many are... (my wife likes Zoo's but I do not... still love her or is it, she still puts up with me...) but see how many have hooks in the mouth IF or when you go....

Not trying to start an argument here....! I swear, I have no issue with those who go... just not for me...!

Enjoy your trip and we should be back to Roatan within the year...

lee

Dove Mary's Place just fine not exceeding 78 feet. It is a great dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom