first trip to roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leslief

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning on diving with suena del mar and staying at roatan west end hotel from the 23-30 of january. The package is 399.00. I am looking for something similar on another part of the island maybe near where fantasy island is located. any suggestions.

I am looking for something similar on another part of the island maybe near where fantasy island is located. any suggestions.

Why not try Fantasy Island? It's an awesome place and the rates are the best AI rates on the island :wink:

I usually don't like ai's. I watched some videos and it just doesn't seem like my kind of atmosphere. Also the price will be almost double for the week compared to my first week.

As you move farther from the West End you will find many places are more AI "type" places. Maybe not full AI but they are too far for most to walk anywhere so most is done in house. When you stay in West End your dining options are endless , from very inexpensive to all out outrageous, head up east and your options go away fast so the resorts with dining that works with their dive boat schedule suddenly becomes very reasonable.
Many have questioned the costs i have paid for liveabboards yet to get in 25-30 dives a week in at places like Chuuk and Fiji, many with a lot of Deco ( My computer cleared me to fly just last week :D) would be impossible if done at a place not set up for it so while some costs seem higher, if you consider dollar per hour underwater, and your really there to dive, you will see there are many great options.

Your points are well taken but i'm quite happy with 2-3 dives per day. Do you know if any of the operators in the west end go to the south shore. If the weather is to rough in the northwest do they go south or just not dive that day.

I am planning on diving with suena del mar and staying at roatan west end hotel from the 23-30 of january. The package is 399.00.

Since you're asking for comparisons, I checked to see what their "package" included....

Roatan Hotel | West End Roatan | Sueno del Mar Resort and Roatan West End Hotel I found $569 for a week of lodging based on double occupancy. I really couldn't make heads nor tails of their diving add-on pricing.

Most operations in the West End are "guest houses" and they offer only a room. SDM is different in that it has some rooms as well as its own dive op. An AI would only add food to that equation.

I am looking for something similar on another part of the island maybe near where fantasy island is located. any suggestions.

There are no guest houses in that area, nor is there anything similar offered along the South side within that very specialized reef structure area.

I would concur with the advise that you should stay in the west end.

If you are into the backpacking - semi roughing it travel - then you will fit right in!

. If the weather is to rough in the northwest do they go south or just not dive that day.

Not sure specifically about SDM But many will head to the South Side when warranted. Some even keep their boats an the southside during periods of bad weather from the North. I often see Bananarama, AKR, Seagrape and other boats moored just offshore of my place
DSC_0177.jpg

Back
Top Bottom