First trip with my DC1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parkerco

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from a week in Cozumel with this thing. I hd researched cameras here for months before this trip, so I was pretty excited to get out in the water with this thing. Was an interesting week, really ... I definitely have a lot of learning to do in terms of composition and figuring out settings, but for a first time out I was fairly happy with most of my photos. Ironically my favorite from the week is the first one, which I snagged while waiting to get back on a dive boat at dusk using the quick "land mode" setting.

Noticed that a lot of my underwater shots, using the camera and one strobe, needed quite a bit of post-production work in terms of raising the color temperature. As I'm not a photographer I'm not exactly sure what that is or how to fix it, but if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it!

Full gallery of the shots from the trip can be found here.

4110559144_effcb3d418_b.jpg

4110527594_9763b14840_b.jpg

4110534024_5512463fbc_b.jpg

4110059519_205fd0d55f_b.jpg

4110043179_74ccc62bbc_b.jpg

4110807590_76d74d1c61_b.jpg

4110796388_a11734b46f_b.jpg

Jesus on a pogo stick!!!!! Those are some damn fine shots. My first trip with my dc1000 and the pics look like poo....I am super sad now, yet I am happy as hell for you! I know I have a bum camera, no sound with the video and a strange red line in the pics, and the pics are all crappy (and I'm an amateur photographer, so i know some things).

One question, were you using the snokel/sea settings for the automatic color adjustment? Again, BEAUTIFUL shots!

Hi Mike, and thank you. I used the sea settings w/flash attached for most of the photos, but towards the end of the week started playing around with things a bit (upping the ISO, etc.) that I had read about here. The only day I did something different were the wreck shots -- seemed like the flash stopped firing (thought the batteries had died) so I popped it and the fiber-optic cable off and for whatever reason it seemed to do a nicer job in terms of color for distant targets (for macro stuff the strobe seemed vastly superior).

Jesus on a pogo stick!!!!! Those are some damn fine shots. My first trip with my dc1000 and the pics look like poo....I am super sad now, yet I am happy as hell for you! I know I have a bum camera, no sound with the video and a strange red line in the pics, and the pics are all crappy (and I'm an amateur photographer, so i know some things).

One question, were you using the snokel/sea settings for the automatic color adjustment? Again, BEAUTIFUL shots!

Send it in, Mike.

Ok I feel like a total loser.. i just used mine for the first time last week on a cruise and my shots are no where near the quality of yours! Great job!

Don't worry, Manda, mine aren't so great either. I have no strobes and the pics just aren't beautiful like his. We'll be losers together :p

Ok I feel like a total loser.. i just used mine for the first time last week on a cruise and my shots are no where near the quality of yours! Great job!
Hi Manda, no need to feel like a loser =/ The 10 photos I ended up remotely happy with came from about 700-800 that I took just playing with the camera and getting used to things, and the good ones came about more from luck than from any real skill =)

I found a cool thread here on post-production when I was cleaning up some of the ones I was less happy with, maybe some Photoshopping might help? The thread is here ... Adobe's Photoshop Elements is the wallet-friendly version of Photoshop and can do everything I found in that thread to tinker around with (and has a free trial).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom