First U/W shots with Canon S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
The Canon DC-WP38 housing worked fine but it will take me a while to get use to the shutter button placement. Plus the camera was set to power saving mode and shut off frequently. Grrrrrr. My fault though.

I've been using my Pentax Optio and housing for so many years that I've gotten use to wait a couple of minutes for it to focus. The Canon S95 is much better in that regard. But so far I'm disappointed in its macro abilities as compared with the 5mp Optio.

Time will tell.

I have no external strobes and probably never will. That coupled with all the stuff in the water around here makes for plenty of backscatter when using the onboard flash.

Click on the picture below to see a sample of the shots I took this weekend at Sares Head just outside of Deception Pass, Washington. The visibility was particularly bad Saturday and it was dark at 50'. Very dark at 100'.

That shots are not bad. An external strobe should help some because the bits of stuff in the water reflect back at the light source. If the light source is out of line of the lens, there is far less backscatter. As for macro, you might be able to get a wet lens to enhance your macro. But I do not think that you can do that with the canon housing.

Ron -- when might you be free this week to go to EUP for pictures? Tides look great all week.

Thank you Pat.

I've had some splended macro results with the Pentax Optio (listen to me self'evaluate :rolleyes: ) I know I haven't really given the S95 a chance but the Optio did have two macro settings and the SuperMacro really did focus close.

I'm really just a point~n~shooter and I like to be able to clip the camera off on my harness when not in use so having strobes on arms sticking out wouldn't work so well for me.

What I really would like to try is some sort of diffuser to put over my HID head so I can use that to light a scene without cooking the critters.

Ron -- when might you be free this week to go to EUP for pictures? Tides look great all week.

Well, let's see: mow the lawn or dive with Peter ~ mow the lawn or dive with Peter ~

Just about any old time. Everything else can wait. :D Everything except tomorrow. Tuesday is already spoken for.

How about Wednesday?!!

Wednesday is what I had in mind. I'll check with the boss and see about maybe using the boat to go out?

Wednesday is what I had in mind. I'll check with the boss and see about maybe using the boat to go out?

The boat for EUP?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom