First Underwater Camera: Need some help with final decisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverken374

Contributor
Reaction score
2.5 hrs north of Toronto, Ont., Canada/Cozumel
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have decded to get a Canon G12 as my first underwater camera. I have decided to go with the WP DC 34 housing as it appears this is the recommended Canon housing for this camera. I reviewed all the other higher end housings. I am now down to selecting a strobe. Looking at Sea and Sea YS 27 DX however Scuba.com suggests a Sea Life digital proflash. I would like a simple flash system that does not require a lot of fine tuning. Not sure about things like TTL converters or sync cords.
Any advise is appreciated.

As you know, the Canon DC34 housing does not support turning either the front or rear command dials. You will miss that functionality greatly when you shoot underwater. It is false economy to buy the Canon housing. I had the G11 with Canon housing for one dive trip, and cursed it. Another diver on the same trip had the G11 in Ikelite housing with DS51 strobe. She got the shots every time. I sold the housing after that one dive trip.

I would suggest using the Ikelite housing instead. It does support the front and rear command dials, and it also provides TTL flash control to Ikelite strobes.

With the WP-DC34 you can't use the rear dial directly, but the functionality of it is easy to learn using an alternate button arrangement. Practice a little while on land, and it's easy to get used to it. Also, you can save two set of custom settings (C1 and C2) and that way can have the general setup you want always handy. I set mine up with C1 for macro with strobe, C2 for near focus (2') with strobe, and then set my manual settings for general shooting without strobe. Easy enough to do and then I'm not doing much but switching between three presets. I believe the front dial functions on the G12 can also be worked through an alternate button method as well.

I have a G11, WP-DC34, and Sea&Sea YS-01 strobe using an optical trigger cable. Works great, including TTL modes with the strobe. I blacked out my housing to effectively block all light from the internal strobe except where the optical cable pickup is located. I highly recommend the S&S YS-01, for the money it's a great little strobe. Not too big, recycles quick, uses standard AA batteries (I carry two sets of NiMH rechargeables), and has a LED focusing light built in. And the TTL mode works great with the G series of cameras. You can pick up this strobe for around $400, an optical trigger cable for about $30, nice arm for $150, and WP-DC34 housing for $180. A pretty low cost way to get into underwater photography.

Don't get me wrong, if I had the extra $$$ to spend I'd probably look at a housing with more features. I'd probably not get the Ikelite, since the 10Bar is only about $100 more (from Jack at OpticalOceanSales.com) and it offers a very nice wide angle, though expensive, dome port and lens.

I really love my G11, but if I were to do it over I might consider the S95 since the housings for it are lower cost, and there are more lens options with those housings. And it's essentially the same camera when it comes to sensor an electronics.

Don't get me wrong, if I had the extra $$$ to spend I'd probably look at a housing with more features. I'd probably not get the Ikelite, since the 10Bar is only about $100 more (from Jack at OpticalOceanSales.com) and it offers a very nice wide angle, though expensive, dome port and lens.

I really love my G11, but if I were to do it over I might consider the S95 since the housings for it are lower cost, and there are more lens options with those housings. And it's essentially the same camera when it comes to sensor an electronics.

Just to clarify. You would probably not get the Ikelite housing? $100 more is much cheaper than what I have seen as I have been seeing prices of $500 for this housing.
The prices I have seen for the Ikelite strobes have been $600 to $700 however that I find very expensive compared to the Canon housing and strobes.

Just to clarify. You would probably not get the Ikelite housing? $100 more is much cheaper than what I have seen as I have been seeing prices of $500 for this housing.
The prices I have seen for the Ikelite strobes have been $600 to $700 however that I find very expensive compared to the Canon housing and strobes.

I'd look at the 10Bar over the Ikelite, since it's about $100 more than the Ikelite. The prices I see for the Ikelite are around $600, the 10Bar is about $700.

Diverken373,
the Canon WP-DC34 is about 200$ and the Ikelite about 600$
You may have problems - some do, some not - with the Canon housing and you have to use a alternative button setup,
while the Ikelite is made of proven, experienced technology, you can use all functions, and have full TTL using Ikelite strobes. The problem of the Canon and Ikelite housings are the limited solutions of add-on lenses and Ikelite provide TTL only with their heavy and bulky (but excellent) electrical triggered strobes.

I would suggest a INON D-2000 strobe as the work perfectly with the G11/G12, are optically triggered, sturdy and less expensive as the Ikelite DS-160/161.
When i would have a housing with several ports i would switch to a micro 4/3 system or a DSLR as the offer also to change the lens to fit the corresponding port.
A G12/S95 is still a P&S - even if a advanced one- and i think that it's advantage is to be small and handy and making excellent photos than to be able to change ports.
It's Murphys law that when you mount the macro port you will encounter big fishes and when you mount the dome port and the fisheye lens to encounter macro stuff. The nice thing on a P&S is that you have a good zoom lens, giving you the possibility to photograph the things you encounter on the dive.

Chris

Hi,

I'm in a similar position to DiverKen (sorry to hijack your thread). I'm getting the G12 and intend to use the canon housing with the C1 & C2 custom modes as mentioned by Lee.

The problem is i want to use my Two Sealife SL961 strobes to be triggered by the internal flash but I don't know how to set this up. Do i have to attach them to the housing diffuser and how do i do this?

Also, i don't think the canon housing with fit onto the Sealife strobe tray because of the male thread that points up where the tray meets the housing. Should I just file down the thread? And will my Sealife 2.5cm screw fit into the canon housing?

many thanks for any help you can give!
Cheers

Hmm my Canon G11 case worked with the sealife strobe and the tray it came with. I had the sealife pro

Hi furby,

Did you have to file down the male thread on the Sealife tray or did it fit into the Canon housing as it is?

How did you set it up so that the internal flash triggers the Sealife strobes?

Cheers mate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom