First unguided dive goes badly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good post Spectrum :)

I can remember the anxiety when me and my buddy first went out on our own after classes were done
... now add your navigation, and nitrox issues to that and I can see how things could become "tense"

Just do what have been doing ... discuss what you should have done, will do in the future, and listen to the good advice given here ... you will do better next time, and it will be back to being fun :)

Instead of quoting Spectrum's (quote number 10) which I would do in it's entire form, I will redirect you good advice.

When Jen (my wife) and I began diving we required the use of a DM on open water dives. It was a comfort factor, a safety factor, and it allowed us to do what we really wanted to do--check out the fishies.

Keep practicing, practicing, practicing. Identify a specific hand signal for a panic attack so you and hubby can talk about it underwater. Just by verbalizing the idea of a panic attack to someone you trust and love can negate the effects of the attack and allow the dive to continue.

spectrum:
You had a plan, errors were made and you recovered. You debriefed and identified what went wrong.

My suggestion is to return to the water in a less ambitious setting and give it another shot.

My definition of a good dive is on in which nobody got hurt, all of the gear came back and you learned something. You did good.

Pete

Good advice from Pete.
You also might want to carry along some wet notes, or at the very least- carry a slate so that you and your husband can communicate more effectively.

I would emphasize the point that Henryville brought up. In the beginning, I tended to treat the “thumbs up” as a question mark rather than a command as well. It was probably function of both never really having any issues and training not emphasizing that it is NOT to be used as a question. We used to fling it at each others in the end of dive like “do you want to go up yet” – until reading more and realizing that it is not really supposed to be used that way.

I would say it would greatly add to my stress now if I thumbed a dive and my buddy started questioning it. You do not need to know the reason, just start heading up. Naturally it’s ok to ask if further aid is needed, and eg try to slow someone down. Generally, I would just like to pass on the lesson I learnt a little delayed that “thumbs” really means you will pop to surface and debrief the issue only there.

And like others have said – build up to your confidence slowly with easy dives first. You have started independent dives fairly late but do not let this setback kill the fun. Don’t put the pressure on each other, mistakes teach a lot too. Don’t expect everything to go smooth every time and plan safe bailouts. Get your ears checked it they keep bothering you.

P.S. One good hand sign to learn early on is "hold". When things get hectic or you just want your buddy to stop and give you a break to get your head or gear or whatever together or just chill, tell him/her to "hold" before going/doing anything else

Listening to the dive plan then doing their own thing? Sounds like my wife! Simple wall dives at a local quarry become a chase to catch her when she decides to go out away from the wall. I dive with a computer, she does'nt; I dive with a compass, she does'nt. When she leads, we end up anywhere but where we had intended. If I lead, I end up holding her hand so she does'nt get lost or seperated.
Diving with my wife is great, but she has to remember PLAN YOUR DIVE, DIVE YOUR PLAN!!!!

plan the dive dive the plan .

Diving is all about the fun factor .

Stress is for work .

get more experienced and relax . these things happen and everything you did as a reaction was a good thing getting to the surface , debrief etc . just relax .

alicatfish:
Fixing problem #1&#3 On the surface we talked about our dive plan, and how it wasn't followed. I'm not really sure why my husband went diagonal instead of straight out to the buoy. He really didn't have an answer for that one either. As for my ears, I need to work on controlling my descents better.

Question for problem #2 Any thoughts on why he might have freaked? He thinks it could have been due to O2 toxicity (anxiety, irrational behavior). I think he just lost his head. And what should I have done differently?

Alicat,
My non-diving spouse suffers from panic attacks and it happens without warning. To some extent I know exactly what you're husband was going through, based on my spouse experience. Certainly, the anxiety of a non-guided dive contributed to the panic attack, no doubt, but I wouldn't go so far as trying to disect how it could've been prevented. Panic attack just strikes anytime without warning and the best thing to do was just to abort the dive. That said, perhaps next time you and your husband goes diving on your own, just do an easy dive until both of you are comfortable and come up with a hand signal for a panic attack.

Anyway, Pete certainly summed it up really well.

I think a lot of us (certainly me) have had dives that we'd rather not remember. The most important thing is that you and your buddy talk about what went wrong, and how those things can be corrected for next time. It's the bad dives that teach the good lessons. Hiring a local guide for a new dive location is a great way to find out about the site, and then you can go back on your own. One other suggestion after you get a few more dives in- on our training dives at the local dive spot, my buddy and I practice ascents without using an anchor line, which is a great skill in case everything goes to pot. You can start practicing by being within grabbing distance of the line, but using your BC to control the ascent rate. When you've mastered that, try it without looking at the line for reference...just use your depth gauge or computer and remember to go slowly. -Todd.

I am the exact opposite. I suffer from panic attacks on land, due to stress at work, finances, etc... When I dive, however, all is well. I forget about the turmoil of everyday life above water. I enjoy the sounds, sights, feelings... Man I love diving. Then I get back on the surface and think, "How am I gonna pay for this trip?" and it all starts over. Maybe I will build a huge concrete pond out back to go in whenever I get stressed. Hmmm....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom