First UW video setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bismark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice here. I am purchasing my first UW video setup and want something in the prosumer range. I would like a Gates housing and sony camera. I would prefer to by new and as up to date as possible. I will be editing with a new mac. I am not a millionaire but I am not doing this on a shoe string budget. Any thoughts as to what camera? Thanks for the advice.

Some factors to consider

1.) What will you do with the footage? If more personal you can do fine wiith even some of the entry level Sony's (have not went through all the reviews on the HC5/7 yet, some buzz indicates the now discontinued HC3 was about the same) and you probably get get better quality than that. The Canon HV20 has gotten very good reviews (but no Gates Housings)

2.) What features are you looking for? In general one of the more important things to access is White Balance, which Gates now has in the housings for even the low end Sony's, though of course the more items you can access, such as shutter speed and other items will help with more shots. (With your number of dives my guess is mutlitasking/buoyancy will be easy for you.)

3.) What type of diving do you do? Good conditions? Bad conditions (viz & light)? Both? If you do more real clear nice light diving you can get good results.

Using B&H Photo as a guide for prices (some places have things listed for less and many are legit, but beware the real cheap places) and ballparking pricing

Camera - $1160
Housing with mod for WB (projected) $2400
Plus one or more ports

Fathom WA Port $895
Gates WA Port $595
Gates Basic Port $115

So for $3600 or so (using basic port) you are in the HC7

The next level is the FX7 type camera - larger camera and more weight (the HC7 rig altogether about 8 lbs, FX7 20 lbs or so)

Camera is $2600
Housing $3995
Basic Port $450

So about $7000

Of course this is an overview and there are more selections/choices but wanted to point out some issues to start with to think about to help narrow things.

As an aside, I like Gates alot and the Fathom ports are VERY good. I like mechnical housings and Gates are built like tanks. I think the first thing is to figure out (a) is the $7000 range plus your range and (b) does size/portability come into play. I am subject to travel restrictions so that is always a big factor for me.

HTH get you started. (And the Sony's play nicely with Macs)

EDIT TO ADD: You can also find some deals on non-HDV 3 CCD cam set ups sometimes for less and that also something to consider, again depends on the budget, the PC series of the Gates were nice

Thanks for the input. No, $7000 is not outside of my price range however the 20lbs is a bit daunting. Is the FX-7 that much better than an FX-1? Also, will the FX-7 footage quality be that much better than something like the HC-7? Is it a question of low-light ability? Further, I will check the Gates website but I liked the idea of not needing an external monitor. Not sure if the FX-7 needs one or not. I am going to check right now.
Thanks again for taking the time.

I live and dive here in the PNW but we do a lot of travelling in sunny and warm climates. (eg, carribbean, south pacific) I would like to use the system in both locations, but I definitely would like to have it for the end of may and a Cayman's trip.

Thanks again.

I started writing a reply then realized I am a bit beat right now and not writing clearly, will try to come back after some sleep, but before I do so, some random thoughts -

FWIW check out

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-HDR-FX7-Camcorder-Review/Performance.htm

for some info on the FX7 - but always take everything with a grain of salt, sometimes the reviewers are wrong and/or do not know as much as they try to appear to show (not calling out that review, but in general :)) and maybe poke around at some of the other cameras mentioned in that review.

It sounds like for PNW low light performance is going to be important for you for wide panaramoa shots (not sure of the conditions you see?) But by the same token people have also gotten good shots with A1s which were not good low light cames. For close work, with a set of lights you can probably do fine with about anything.

Also do a quick search for people who have posted HC3 footage, there is some here and elsewhere and you can start getting a sense of how it can perform

Can't go wrong with a Gates, but if you're doing a lot of traveling, the size of the FX7 housing might be an issue. Personally I wouldn't want to check a $4000+ housing. I haven't seen the Gates HC7 housing but I'm guessing it would fit in a carry-on roller bag.

my .02

sjspeck:
Can't go wrong with a Gates, but if you're doing a lot of traveling, the size of the FX7 housing might be an issue. Personally I wouldn't want to check a $4000+ housing. I haven't seen the Gates HC7 housing but I'm guessing it would fit in a carry-on roller bag.

my .02

I managed to carry on my L&M Bluefin HD housing with FX1. It's a struggle (about 40 pounds in weight) and *just* fits in the luggage bin of a 737.

Does it produce way better video than an HC3/7 ? No idea, but I sure hope so for all the damage it's doing to my back!

i know for sure that HD produces way better single-def footage because you can tweak the images a lot more before they go to crap.

Also, if you want manual control then something like the FX1/FX7 (From Sony at least) is going to be needed.

A wide-angle port is pretty much essential. It makes such a big difference in what you capture. Also, not all of them readily allow you to zoom down to macro level so you may want to check out the functionality of the ports. My next purchase for my Gates housing will be the external monitor. Even though I don't use the LCD for land photography (actually can't on my SLR camera), it doesn't feel natural underwater to be up close to the viewfinder on the back. I have got the Sony A1U for which Gates has just discontinued the housing.

Hi, I agree with the last 2 posts, 40+ lbs is not easy to move around. For $7000 I would go for a Sony HVR A1U, this is a better version of Sony HC1, is small and light weight, broadwayphoto.com is still selling them but they are not posted on web site, you have to do a google search and pricegrabber will give you the link . Regarding a external monitor if you can afford one is a plus and will make filming a lot easier not having to hold the housing in front of your mask. L&M makes a nice housing for HC1 and A1U. If you want to see some footage filmed with this camcorder go to http://www.uwimaging.com/gallery/video/Nicklin/indo_05.html this video clip sold me on buying Sony HC1 when were still available. Another think that you'll have to consider is the red filter that is a must for tropical waters, some housings come with a built in filter that you can flip on and off. this is good when you want to record above water in the boat before diving that will later make the video more interesting.
And last, you may want to think about some video lights if you'll dive the north Pacific waters.
I hope this will help you in making your decisions.
Paul

I shoot with the Gates & the Sony Z1u and it weighs in around 40lbs. I actually have to pack the port and the housing into two separate hard cases for flying, as all in one case it was over some airlines max weight. I do think it makes pretty pictures, but if I were just doing it for fun I would go with the leightest weight 3 CCD HD camcorder I could find.

My 2 cents ...

Back
Top Bottom