first we lose the canadian rep....now this ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're only allowed to mention Da<cough>cor covertly.... :D

I really don't know what happened to Dacor.... if it blew up in their face or if they really just bought it for some patent that they had and then twisted it's neck to get them out of the market..... either way, the result was the same.

As for SSI, I don't think it was a coincidence that Head bought SSI. After all, SSI is the only agency that ties training to shops so that's an obvious way for Mares to elbow some of the competition out of a fair number of retail shops. I figure SSI shops will be forced into becoming exclusive Mares dealers and the sole future of SSI will be to facilitate the sales of Mares gear.

If that means they'll screw up the curriculum or not remains to be seen but I think any aspirations SSI ever had of becoming a world class player in scuba training will be difficult to achieve when their main function as a Head company is to stop certain shops from selling ... say... aqualung products.

I'm sure Head will invest in SSI but it will be in things like re-writing the books so that every photo and every video, every paragraph in the training that mentions gear specifically references a Mares product. The investment will all be in marketing.

R..

In my humble opinion I don't think anyone from the USA had anything to do with the merger. I doubt they even knew it was coming. Like I said, my opinion.

Diver0001, your assumption about Mares intending to force their product lines on SSI facilities may end up being correct, but it's not something that I think will be well received here in the US I can guarantee.

I say this because the President and CEO of SSI also has 4 Dive Shops in the Midwest.... and they still sell AquaLung!

Again, just an observation, but I think other commenters hit the nail on the head when they suggested Mares will destroy the SSI brand.

Someone leaves and it's a "full house cleaning"? Companies get bought out every single day and employees move on every day. Even if it is a "house cleaning", is that a bad thing...is it a good thing??

The scuba industry seems to be floundering...maybe its time for some new blood.
Maybe not.
What the hell do I know?

Not just "someone",.... lots. Our rep was also ousted at the very begining, along with many more, including the head training director, Watson DeVore, leaving. I have spoken to him several times over questions dealing with standards & instruction. He was always very personable & a pleasure to speak with. Most of the staff at SSI HQ in Colorado is now gone & those that have replaced them are not very friendly nor customer oreinted. They tend to be very short & direct with no real plesentries that can make transactions a bit more pleasant. So far I've been VERY underwhelmed & disappointed with the changes that have occurred. From what I have experienced is SSI has gone from a more "family oreinted" company, to more of a cold & impersonal corporation. In my opinion,.. this "house cleaning" has not been for the better. From what I'm seeing & been experincing, the industry will only flounder more. This "new blood" as you like to call it, is not a good fit.

Sighs...seeing a pattern developing..and not one that leaves me feeling full of sunshine and light unfortunately. We lost our rep within 12 days of the "announcement".... and don't know that our shop even HAS a rep at this point???:confused:

Guess we'll just have to "wait and see"....for better or worse. I DO know..that after our shop going SSI last summer...I am a BIG believer in their training mindset. I just think it focuses more on KNOWING...a skill...instead of just "demonstrating" a skill. Our shops students have benefitted as a result in my opinion.

Bubs

My recent experience differs from Tammy's. It's only applicable to the USA operation, of course.

I don't order product, that's the retail side which I'm glad I don't have to operate. We do have a new rep, and we've spoken, and he seems quite available. I understand that the initial product ordering fiasco may have been sorted out now.

My main contact point is dive leader services, since it's primarily my training of new dive pros that makes me call or email SSI. I was sorry to hear that Jerri Shelley parted ways with SSI, we had almost ten years of pleasant conversations and great service. I wish her well. Stephanie Cruz, who now is our dive pro services contact (I think she was the one who hired Jerrilyn) is still there, pleasant as ever, quick to respond.

In sum, I don't yet perceive any degradation in services. I won't comment on the departure of Watson, who used to train divers right here in our own valley a couple of decades ago. But of course I wish him well.

When things have settled out I have detailed feedback for SSI about their training and promotional materials. I look forward to getting to know whoever takes over the chore of supervising the creation of those materials. I hope he or she is open to feedback and perhaps even proofreading of new materials. As I remember it, Master Instructors are supposed to have a voice in that loop. But I have never been asked.

Bottom line, I hope the folks at SSI become more willing to listen to their core consumers, those of us who sell and conduct classes. This month I have three OWD courses and 18 students. My students are usually great at filling out the online feedback form on the course. I would hope SSI wants similar feedbvack from their instructors.

I have noticed that at least HEAD understands the importance of a fast, responsive website. I like the new Dive SSI website, a step in the right direction maybe?

I've seen no change in the divessi web page, at least since the announcement of the Mares bought, both recreational and professional.

alanwatts386511.jpg

Or maybe he just got an offer he couldn't refuse. And not the kind my people (Italians) normally think of when they hear that:wink:. Someone may have offered him a butt load of money and it was better for him and his family.

Just had to note your insight... He's joined RAID.

I've noticed that nor Mares nor SSI will be present in the next DEMA show Las Vegas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom