Fish Abuse ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sefuchs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I use a green laser when diving as a pointer and to get my buddies attention. Occasionally on safety stops I have used it to play games with the fish and have them chase around the light. Some fish go crazy chasing it while others totally ignore it. Do you guys think this cruel to the fish or just fun and games?

If they are the right kind of fish just use it to lure them close enough so your spear shaft line is not too short....

Cruel is over-stating it. It does lead an animal in a competitive environment to expend resources (e.g.: calories) in the pursuit of nourishment, without reward. Then again, when I splash, I startle some creatures who bolt for cover and that does the same thing.

Long story short, as a matter of personal presumption, I think a little 'play' is no big deal, long as you don't go on & on, over-doing it. Unless the fish in question look emaciated.

After all, is it really so different from me pursuing/annoying marine life with my camera?

Richard.

I would take issue if I happen to look up and your laser hit me squarely in the retina! I woul most likely confiscate it and sit you in the corner sitting out the next Dive.

When I do this with my cat, it's called "exercise". He enjoys it and I do. I try to get him to expend as many resources as possible in the process.

"Play" by young animals is development of important survival skills later. "Play" by adult animals is using or rehearsing important skills, such as my cat's hunting behavior or honing my lightning-fast reflexes for the next time I find myself in a Mario Kart.

It's hard for me to think of this as "cruel". If someone is luring a toadfish out into the open, that exposes it to predation and costs it potential food resources. Blowing bubbles at an angelfish that isn't going to leave me alone doesn't strike me as costing the fish much at all.

I would take issue if I happen to look up and your laser hit me squarely in the retina! I woul most likely confiscate it and sit you in the corner sitting out the next Dive.

I've heard that green lasers are being used/tested as a shark deterrent (and also on @flyboy08). May need to use it on the nurse sharks since they've become so aggresive looking for food handouts the last couple years.

Seems harmless enough to me and a little exercise never hurt anything (including fish). Perhaps they think it's fun game (assuming their thought process can go beyond Eat...Hide...Sleep...Breed...Repeat). Certainly is better for the fish than those who entertain themselves feeding fish that Easy "aerosol" Cheese from a can.

I use a green laser when diving as a pointer and to get my buddies attention. Occasionally on safety stops I have used it to play games with the fish and have them chase around the light. Some fish go crazy chasing it while others totally ignore it. Do you guys think this cruel to the fish or just fun and games?
Are they catfish? :D

I've heard that green lasers are being used/tested as a shark deterrent (and also on @flyboy08). May need to use it on the nurse sharks since they've become so aggresive looking for food handouts the last couple years.
Google lasers being flashed at airplanes upon landing and you’ll see how what might look like fun can turn disastrous.

Back
Top Bottom