Fish ID help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zihuatcat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm relatively new to diving and fish id. We saw this fish on a recent trip to Bonaire. Can anyone tell me what it is?
PICT0166.jpg

Attachments

• PICT0145.jpg
    PICT0145.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 101
Sorry, apparently I'm also new to uploading photos on Scubaboard. I'm asking about the small picture of the single fish, not the larger pic of the multiple fish.

I do believe it is a bi-color variation of a Coney. I'm certain it is a member of the SeaBass family. If you have access to Humann/Delocach's Reef Fish id guide for Florida, Caribbean and the Bahamas look in group 5 page 160. If you do not have this book and are interested in fish watching in the Caribbean then GET IT. There is no book better or easier to use.

Thanks. We were leaning in that direction. And I do have that book, so your reference to the page number was helpful.

You can ID the coneys by the two black dots on their lower lip, if you can see that part of them... Enjoy your fish watching!

Back
Top Bottom