Fisherman diver in hospital

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ChuckP . I'm a volunteer tender at the International Hospital. In the past, they have treated local fishermen there for DCS. I have not been a tender this past year, so I can't say if they have or have not changed anything.
The International Hospital is still part of the SSS Hyperbaric Chamber Network.

Dr. Pascual Piccolo is at Hospital Médica San Miguel on calle 6 Norte

The article says nothing about COVID19. It also says the ambulance called was from Amerimed which I found odd since the call was about a diver in distress and they don't have a chamber. Also they were up North. I guess it just depends on who took the call first.

The chambers are at Hospital Médica San Miguel, International Hospital, and CMC (Costa Med) Hospital. There is no Hyperbaric Chamber at Amerimed. There used to be a chamber at the Hospital General and I hear a few months ago it was out of service. I don't know if it is currently in use anymore.

I sure hope this man makes a recovery. My prayers go out to him and his family.

The article or articles referred to trouble breathing - he was older guy - which considering it was diving you’d think possible dci or heart attack - no one said anything about covid and I’d really doubt it had anything to do with it.

It was more about International refusing to treat him, them taking him to general - where he passed away..... Spend your whole life busting ass to survive and more than likely feed your family and that’s how it ends - I know that’s how it is here but I’ll never like it.

Funny how everything suddenly has some relation to this stupid virus. Ridiculous to even suggest a link.

Funny how everything suddenly has some relation to this stupid virus. Ridiculous to even suggest a link.
The virus is so pervasive now that in every otherwise unexplained serious health situation it at least has to be considered. It's not my field but it seems reasonable to me that a diver whose lungs are compromised by the virus might be more susceptible to DCS. Decompression effects of N2 concentration in the blood depend on lung function offgassing to lower it.

With regards to which ambulance/hospital you go to, I think they do some sort of rotational thing on ambulances where they take turns (I have been told how it works, but I can’t recall )

It came up one time when a friend needed an ambulance and wound up going to a hospital 10-15 blocks away as opposed to CMC 1 block away. I wasn’t there at the time but it was explained to me when we went back to the hospital just to say hi the next time he was in Cozumel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom