Fisheye FIX G11 issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never said that.

I'm still gathering information on several different rigs. Cannon, Nikon, FIX, Ikelite and others.

Not sure what I said to upset you, but thanks for your very helpful posts.

PH

There really is no reason to assume I am upset at you, you are extrapolating beyond what I actually said. No anger is involved, sorry if you thought so. N

I don't believe they are having problems, they just think they are, simply my opinion, if you think the Ikelite is clear sailing, are you in for a surprise.

N

I do have a problem with the rear wheel slipping and it almost disappears if you squeeze the housing hard. Ryan from the ReefPhoto recommended: "Small tolerance differences in the camera and in the housing can cause the rear command wheel to slip a bit. We can tune this control in house if returned to us. I would also recommend returning the camera as well. We need your camera in case there is some small tolerance difference from our camera to your camera. We'll only need it in house for a couple of days, but this is the best way for us to solve the problem."

I ordered the camera from Amazon and anyway am returning it. Tomorrow I'll try the second camera in the same housing to see if the problem persists.

I got the second s90 camera from Amazon. The housing's rear wheel behaves exactly the same: it slips when rotating especially clockwise. So I guess it the housing problem. I am sending it back for adjustment.

It does not turn one for one, their is slippage. I have a little with mine, the one in a well known camera store I just visited on the counter slipped the same and a fellow I ran into with a S90 FIX housing, the same. If you are expecting one for one on the rear dial you are probably not going to ever be happy. It is possible you can have it adjusted a bit.

N

I think I too would send the camera and housing off to Reef and get the "custom" adjustment. Let us know how it works out.

It does not turn one for one, their is slippage. I have a little with mine, the one in a well known camera store I just visited on the counter slipped the same and a fellow I ran into with a S90 FIX housing, the same. If you are expecting one for one on the rear dial you are probably not going to ever be happy. It is possible you can have it adjusted a bit.

N
Counter clockwise it slips a bit. Clockwise it would not catch at all sometimes until I squeeze the housing hard

I got the camera and housing back. Now it works, thanks to Reef Photo. They put some padding at the front of the housing on the right, and at the back on the left. I am wondering if it turns the camera in the housing to the right slightly and that this adjustment can add vignetting with WA lens.

Hi guys,

The rear control wheel slipping can be an issue for some FIX S90 setups.

The issue is the fact that the rear command wheel is so tiny, and also serves as a 4 way navigation pad. So the wheel not only rotates, but it's axis also moves. Its a very difficult control to manipulate through mechanical linkage. This control has a very slight tolerance for camera placement, and a fraction of a mm in any direction can cause the control to slip. Fisheye did a really good job with designing a control for this, but unfortunately the level of precision just isn't available from them or from Canon to make it work 100% of the time.

We can add custom soft shims to the inside of any FIX S90 housing, which helps resolve the slippage issue in most cases.

On a side note, very often we see trace amounts of oily contaminates on control surfaces which can cause them to slip. This happens on any housing, regardless of make or model, and can include silicone o-ring lubricant, suntan lotion or even finger oils. Take the time to wipe down all control surfaces with a clean cloth and some rubbing alcohol.

Tony

Just some follow up with this issue....

Our service department received a FIX G11 housing and G11 camera today for a rear command wheel slipping. Not an S90, I know, but the controls are similar in design and the concept I am trying to illustrate is the same.

We took the customer's camera, and tried it in the customer's housing - sure enough the control wheel slipped. We then took a FIX G11 housing off the self, and tried the customer's camera in there. It also slipped. We then took another G11 camera and tried it in the customer provided housing. This camera's rear command wheel did not slip at all.

We then measured 3 G11 housings - 2 off the shelf, and the customer supplied one - with a good set of digital calipers. All 3 housings were within a few hundredths of a millimeter to each other.

We then took multiple measurements from the customer camera, and the other camera we had. Although due to variables in the shape and controls of the camera's we can't get as precise of a measurement, when we average a series of measurements out, we find the big variable seems to be in the cameras, not the housings.

The real issue, is this control is so tiny, and requires such a precise touch, it's difficult to do when there are even the slightest variants in the size of the camera and housings. Replacing the camera isn't always the solution unless you have had the opportunity to test fit it first, as the replacement camera might also be 'too short.'

When properly done, using a shim is really the best way to go in these circumstances.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom