Fishrock Dives SRP filter on GoPro Dive housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks a ton Marty! I just hope the clip on is available before I head to Mexico in the begining of November, otherwise the Oculus looks like a pretty good option.

Thank you again!

Rich

The Occulus does do a similar job retaining more colour to the same depths and possibly even slighlty beyond the URPro ones I tested but it does tend to lose more detail then all the other options I tried. Most likely due to it using just a cheaper plastic and possibly a little darker too not allowing as much light to penetrated the filter. Its not got the same optical properties of the plastic used by URPro and Magic filters and mine even came with a little scratch from the factory lol.

Scratches though will always be more likely on plastic filters but unless they are very deep shouldn't be visible in underwater use and my small scratch on the oculus didn't appear to have any effect on the image.

I think Oculus have obviously copied the URPro filter colour to a point, not sure if they are breaching patents but using lower grade plastics does show up in the results I have. This will show in some side by sides I will be putting up later, at the SRP site they do say late October for the new filters Snake River Prototyping, LLC.

Marty having looked at the various pictures those would be my comments from a pure photography point of view

Deeper pictures
Scorpion fish: top left better than others, followed by bottom two, the top right looks pretty green
Sand sharks: I would say despite the lack of colour the pictures on the top right are consistently better in terms of details, all the other looks blurry, with the top left marginally better than the other options
That makes sense as the scorpionfish is close to the camera so total of depth and distance still Ok for UR/PRO limits.
The sand sharks are further away so the camera just suffers, there is little colour anyway and all the filter pictures are pretty noisy. You can notice that the part of the reef closer to the camera port has more colour than the shark in the distance this is consistent with the filter behaviour as per UR/PRO

The other pictures at 15-20 meters are somewhat surprising as the top left picture is consistently more natural, but I find the bottom right better than the magic filter. This could be because the filter itself is thinner so the image quality improves

It also would seem looking at the wobbegong resting in the sand that the magic is much more red than the UR/PRO. My UR/PRO is a nice orange but it would seem that the magic is more red. You have the filters in your hand so would be interesting to check that.
This is also strange as the original automagic that I have seen was not as red as the backscatter one seem to be

Conclusion: all filter do a good job at the usual working depth but are pretty useless at the 30 meters mark as the picture gets grainy, the UR/PRO seems the best but I would not discount the Oculus at all based on those pictures

How did you take those stills? Are they extracted from your gopro footage or are shot as stills?

Thanks for the analysis, the one tricky thing is its a bit hard to do a true comparison as the awb is quite a large variable in the end result. All the side by sides are screen grabs off the video footage and the few photos I posted in post #6 are stills from one of the other guys still camera just to show how it handled the conditions wr had down there in comparison.

The magic appearance wise is just slightly more red then the urpro and oculus filters I have. It is also the thickest followed by the oculus and the new urpro is quite considerably the thinest filter material of these. I dont think the glass and plastic urpro filters I have are very different in thickness but the magic is probably 3 to 4 times as thick. The oculus would be about 3/4 of the magic one.

In the conditions I had 25m total distance was pretty much the limit but in many cases no filter at the deeper depths produces a very green image almost to the point of a green over exposure. My computer has been busy rendering up the side by side videos and even it has taken a few hours to do up each of the full dives.

I do really wish I had the proposed pro tune firmware upgrade with these tests as the fixed wb would have made a truer and fairer comparison. The hd2 does have a tendency to wb quite green at times and so when the wb is a fair way off the comparison footage is a little uselss.

Also the one shot where there were lots of grey nurse sharks at the deeper levels was the only dive I didnt have a clear lens on any off the gopro cameras due to my little user error on the boat between dives giving it a huge finger print on the onside of the flat lens with nothing to clean it with so I left it on the boat on the last dive.

My computer has been churning away rendering the full dives side by side most of my spare time the last few days and so i have only just been able to view them all properly synced with the depth data. I will cut out parts at all depth levels and post some of this fairly soon but even my computer is struggling a little working with such a large amount of data in a single sequence, slowing down the entire process quite a bit.

On a strange side note my dive computer (oceanic VT3) for some unknown reason doesnt show my reaming air pressure properly when playing back the dive data in real time. It does have correct start and end pressures in the dive summary but the actual data captured every 2 sec is way out and one dive I apparently ran out of air in 15 minutes but continued on for another 20 lol. All others start at the correct pressures but end at close to zero when i had pkenty of air left each dive and all were ended a little quick due to us getting a little cold in the wetsuits after about 30 minutes.

Well the pictures you have posted for me are sufficient to rank the filters I would say
1. URPRO
2. Oculus
3. Magic
As expected the thinner filters work better at depth as they absorb less light

For what concern how to use the filter best I think that the gopro is able to push the limits of the URPRO a few meters more but that's all

Very useful and thanks for posting the side by side

For processing the files I had a MacBook Pro and it would take 8 hours for 15 minutes with an iMac at top specs it takes less than one hour for the same file
It is a goo idea to get rid of as much footage as possible and only really keep the good bits as clips longer than 1 GB compressed are so slow to upload anyway!!

I did process all the videos in full side by side just so I could get an idea of what is going on with all of them throughout. Its much easier then viewing them all on their own and I can always see them side by side then go direct to the source for a full screen look if I need to this way. Out of this I am just finding a few shots at each level for an actual comparison video as nobody wants to sit through 2.5hrs of footage even though I found it quite interesting lol.

My PC is likely higher spec then most macs and the price Apple would charge for hardware that could match the performance I would never want to know. If I tried to do what I did on any laptop it would not even allow me to begin as even the best laptops are a long way behind a good desktop setup that will be a fraction of the cost with much higher actual performance. My hardware allows me to do such silly things so its not a real issue and a 2-4hr render is what I used to get for 5-10 minute clips on my old computer setup.

All of those earlier videos were encoded in much faster then real time as they were all pretty simple single layered edits. I made them just as I was scanning through all the footage to give me an idea of what I had. I originally wasnt going to post them all publicly but due to lack of time I probably would have had to hold back a while to get them as good as I would have hoped so ended up just releasing the rougher edits.

Here are a few more screen grabs along with depth data showing how I set it up for my own internal comparison viewing.

These are all in the same order as the earlier ones with top row SRP clip, Gopro dive no filter. Bottom row BS Magic flip, oculus and then the Blurfix with screw in URPro cy on the headcam all 1080p30 wide.

On this next dive I didnt have a clear lens on at all times so top right was Blurfix with clipon filter instead of the clear lens. The auto WB was a bit skewy this dive for some reason and the URPro's didnt do as well as on the other 3 dives with the magic doing quite a bit better here but thats likely due to it being a lighter filter allowing more light even though its the thickest of the bunch. This is much like the shallow water cyan URPro filter I have but didn't use this trip, it allows more light to pass through so works better at shallower depths but reduces actual colour correction effectiveness at around the 6m mark. The magic has a sweet spot of around 15m and the URPro on all other dives did well to 25m.

However the helmet cam was also a URPro CY screw in filter which did quite well throughout but this may be due to the video mode of 960p30 working better then the 1080p30 wide used in the other cams at this light level. I didnt expect this and only changed the mode for that cam as the taller frame will make it less likely to miss align as we found the day before cutting of half the shark that had a go at him.

This dive I had all the cameras going and the order is from top left, URPro clip GoPro dive, URPro clip Blurfix, GoPro dive no filter. Bottom row Magic Flip by BS, Oculus and the URPro cy screw on the head cam looking elsewhere but similar depth levels throughout. There were some air bubble issues early on as I forgot to clear the lenses until well into the dive. The Blurfix with a clip filter had a big air bubble for most of the dive that you will see in the top corner at times and the magic also had a few bubbles in the frame.

If you notice the deeper footage with no filter does most of the time end up in a near green out, and all the filters as they are going beyond their usefull limits have gone quite green too but not as bad as the clear lens. These are all some of the worst examples showing the footage beyond ideal depths in the light levels I had on the trip. Most of the very green videos here would be at total distance of around 30m with depths here 25-28m and a few meters from most subjects. Keeping under the 25m total works well with the URPro's at most times except for the one dive where the 2 GoPro's with the flip were both having more wb issues then the magic, oculus and other urpro on the headcam for an unknown reason.

In terms of correcting colour there is very little that can be done to the unfiltered footage at these depths but with filters I can do quite a bit re balancing off the slate to improve the image and correct the GoPro's wb issues at times. The URPro's do still have the most range for me in post even with some of the shots that were poorly awb by the camera. The oculus isnt far off but does produce some odd colours using my process with magic bullet colorista and premiere pro.

Here are a few more shots with all 6 cameras at various levels, The magic did much better on this dive at these depths in comparison to how it did on the other 3 dives. Most likely the water conditions just favoured it slightly and the lower light was helped by the lighter filter so there are still days where some filters will have better days then others.

Unfortunately having lucked out on the conditions for the trip, they weren't ideal for filter use to deeper depths as Fabrices videos were in his sunny clear waters. I guess these tests do show what you can expect in less then ideal conditions though so they may still prove to be usefull to some.

Very useful Marty. For what concerns the filter at depth you need to consider the total of depth + subject distance
So if you are say at 24 meters and your subject is at one meter you have a total of 25 filter will still be much better than no filter
However if at 24 meters you have some sharks far away the filter starts to be less useful
I believe the gopro pushes the URPRO working depth a few meters further than the nominal 24 meters, this because all new camera work in ISO higher than the film value that the original URPRO was designed for (around 400 for video)
It gets fairly grainy at values higher than ISO800 however from 400 to 800 is double the light so in certain conditions the filter will work ok down to 26-28 depending on ambient light
It would be interesting to analyse the exif of the shots taken from the footage (assuming the gopro allows you to take a shot from your footage and yours are not from editing software)

Marty, do you have any way to test what is the "stop value/exposure loss" of each of those filters? I'm not sure if this would be a very strict method, but if you have a DSLR, maybe take pictures through the filters under the same lighting conditions and compare the exposure compensation done by camera with a control shot (no filter).

It's obvious that the more green/blue light it filters out (to have more red) the more overall light it restricts to reach the sensor as well, for that reason the Oculus shows more color but consequently more noise.

Marty, do you have any way to test what is the "stop value/exposure loss" of each of those filters? I'm not sure if this would be a very strict method, but if you have a DSLR, maybe take pictures through the filters under the same lighting conditions and compare the exposure compensation done by camera with a control shot (no filter).

It's obvious that the more green/blue light it filters out (to have more red) the more overall light it restricts to reach the sensor as well, for that reason the Oculus shows more color but consequently more noise.

Good idea I will do that, I dont have all my gopro gear on me as i lent some to a friend for a dive trip and will do that test when I get it all back.

Filters (good one like URPRO) take 1 f-stop
Thick ones a bit more
There is not necessarily a relationship between absorption and quality
Ie a cheap filter thin may absorb little and give a poor image
A thicker better quality filter can render colors well but become ineffective at shallower depths

Back
Top Bottom