fit of shorty suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

me_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!
I'm new and posted this in my intro but I figured I'd get more "exposure" :) here:

I am taking a PADI OW course in January, with the dives in the BVIs.
I just bought a shorty 3mm suit mailorder. It's what the Dive Shop in the BVIs said I should get. As I'm hard to fit (short, overweight, female ) I figured I'd buy my own suit rather than try to rent. (Yes, I have my drs permission to dive :) I found an Akona 15/16shorty. It fits pretty well, appropriately tight everywhere, except the bottom of the legs. I always thought I had big thighs but I think because I'm short the suit comes too low (just above the knee) so it is a little loose there. It's tight from the mid-thigh up, and the upper body, neck and arms are fine. Is it going to be okay? If not I don't know what the heck I'm going to do. I've heard about LiquidFit but don't want to invest in that until I go through the class and decide to pursue this as a hobby in the future.

Or, if anyone has advice for a suit to fit me, that'd be great. Seems suits are made for tall skinny women.
Thanks!

Anyone ? Anyone? Beuller ? ;-)
:confused:

My question is, does a shorty suit need to fit tight around the bottom of the legs for it to be effective? Or the fact that it's really tight from mid-thigh and above okay?

Thanks,
Melissa

Using a shorty in warm waters you shouldn't have any problems with a loose fit at the bottom of the legs. The "really tight" part could be more of a problem. If it constricts blood flow, that is bad.

The recommendation you will probably get most is to try a few different suits. If you don't have a local shop with a decent variety, there are certain on line retailers that have fit guarantees. Giving one of them a call, describing your measurements, they may be able to recommend suits for you.

Waterproof actually sells suits in a "plus" sizing, in addition to short and short-plus for their full suits, they are the only company I know that does that.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I think I overstated the "really tight" part, I meant to emphasize that it fits really well everwhere else, except because I'm short it comes long, so the bottom of the legs isn't tight against my skin. All I plan to use this in is tropical waters :)

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I think I overstated the "really tight" part, I meant to emphasize that it fits really well everwhere else, except because I'm short it comes long, so the bottom of the legs isn't tight against my skin. All I plan to use this in is tropical waters :)

Thanks again.

As long as you are comfortable in it, that is what is most important. You might also look at a dive skin or a .5/1mm full suit. They can be extremely stretchy and will protect you against scrapes and stinging things (jellyfish). I have been "bitten" by wrecks while wearing a shorty and a friend has a scar on her arm from a jelly while diving the Rhone. She bought a skin at that point.

Back
Top Bottom