Fitness, Do mini fins improve kicking strength

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_pirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
During Winter I do laps in a pool to maintain fitness. Would I do better at conditioning if I had a set of the mini fins?
--DP

Yes, and hand paddles. I used them when I was swimming competitively.

Both will increase drag and thus make cutting through the water harder.

However, if you are trying to improve your conditioning for the purposes of diving, it's probably best to use your dive fins. They'll be harder to move through the water than minifins, but they'll get your further per thrust (obviously).

Swimmers train with minifins because they need to move their legs fast. This isn't true in diving.

Swimming with fins is a great way to keep your kick for diving. I do it on a regular basis during the winter to keep my kick and have for the last 20 years.

First of all, what do you mean by "minifins"? If you are talking about something the size of a Zoomer, I concur with the other comment. Minifins like zoomers are made for fitness and competitor swimmer. But there are range of fin sizes between minifins and dive fins that may do just as well.

I do not use full size dive fins when I fin swim. I use intermediate size fins like the now discontinued neofin sport (which you can still find on ebay) or the silicone Hydro Tech 2 Short Swim Fins http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/swimshop/shop_detail.asp?iPid=1420&iCatId=23

or others I have in my dive locker including a monofin. I swim with a low profile dive mask (about $15) and a center mount swimmers snorkel.

My typical workout is to warm up by swimming without fins and then swim one length of the pool underwater (you need to build up to this) and swim a freestyle stroke back on the surface (active rest). I allow a minimum 30 second rest recovery and then repeat the sequence for 500 to 1500 yds total. I do not snorkel on the surface as I find the fin kick is very sloppy and pretty much worthless for my conditioning. I am accutely aware of shallow water blackout and found this interval works for me. Not knowing you, I cannot recommend a interval. With the monofin, I swim one length on the minute interval.

It works for me. I really notice a difference in my leg strength and kick when it come to scuba.

By Mini fins I mean the fins without most of the blade. Barely longer than your foot.
What is the mechanism of shallow water blackout?
--DP

From what a remember shallow water blackout affects free divers that hyper-ventilate before doing a free dive. Because of the hyper-ventilation they loose the natural urge to breath when CO2 builds up and then black out.

I started swimming at the YMCA a few weeks back, mostly to condition myself for the upcoming season. I have been finning with my dive fins, mask and snorkel. I fin 500 yards at a steady warm up pace, then 250 without fins breast stroke, mostly arms, 500 more with fins, arms extended and at a hard pace, 250 more without, and then finish with 500 on my back and with fins.

I find that finning on my back works a whole different set of muscles in my legs, and I generally use that for long surface swims while geared up for scuba.

I can tell a huge difference in my finning leg strength in just 4 weeks of 3-4 days per week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom