Fitness regime for Scuba.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I run, swim, play tennis, use kettle bells, and do cross fit workouts. Still looking to cut about 20 more pounds but I hate cutting weight aggressively as it seems to put a damper on my eating (BOOOOOOOHHHHH). Honestly I like the kettle bells and cross fit stuff as it is more "functional" exercise in my opinion and it is fast. Do a hundred yard sprint, 10 burpeess, rest 30 seconds, do another hundred yard sprint, 20 burpees, another hundred yard sprint and 30 burpees, if your fit do it one more time with 40 burpees should take like 10-15 minutes. Things like that only take a few minutes but if you go hard and don't cheat it is plenty miserable and a great workout.

I think that most important part of fitness regime for divers is cardio training. Increasing the maximum oxygen up take level (VO2max) air consumption will reduce. There is a lot of ways to do: swiming, running, cycling. I prefer slow and long runs during winter (I was long distance runner), hard middle distance runs in spring combined with intervals. Maybe is swiming better solution because of aqueous medium. But work with weights is also important for divers. Low level of strengh will cause early fatigue. Early fatigue will increase air consuption and will decrease concentration in general. Basically for diver is important to keep his body in shape -to keep solid level of cardio capabilities and solid level of strengh. Also, to much fat can increase probability of DCS.

Not specifically for scuba but my routine is:
--20 mins. on stationary bike watching TV.
--5 mins. light calesthentics (spell THAT).
--7 minutes arm stretch bands.
--10-25 mins. (depending) shovelling rocks off beach (ocean obliges in returning rocks).

--wish regular swim laps were an option but too far from pool and ocean too cold (even for me) except for 3 months.

I don't do anything specifically for diving but I also do the usual 5x5 thing in the gym: squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, barbell rows.

I should do the cardio thing more often - there's a Muay Thai gym (where I lift weights) about a five minute walk away.

I think some take fitness for scuba to far as it will increase your SAC rate as well as increasing your chances for DCS. Personally, I like to keep my workout to about 30min a day and work on keeping fit. I also do not work out during dive trips. 1 - it is a time for relaxing - 2 - I don't want to increase my chances for DCS.

I grew up as a swimming and running nut (set state records in HS and was a Lifeguard instructor ) now in my mid 40's I think that core strength is the most important along with being Fit (not ripped). It's about moderation and knowing your limits

I think some take fitness for scuba to far as it will increase your SAC rate as well as increasing your chances for DCS. Personally, I like to keep my workout to about 30min a day and work on keeping fit. I also do not work out during dive trips. 1 - it is a time for relaxing - 2 - I don't want to increase my chances for DCS.

I grew up as a swimming and running nut (set state records in HS and was a Lifeguard instructor ) now in my mid 40's I think that core strength is the most important along with being Fit (not ripped). It's about moderation and knowing your limits

There is a lot of truth to this. Bulking up too much does elevate ones SAC rate. Of course, the next larger sized cylinder(s) can be utilized...

Well, more cardio LOWER the SAC though as you can work harder before your breathing is elevated..
And btw, fatty tissues also increase DCS risk, doesnt it?

In addition to a good overall fitness regime, every diver over 40 should be extensively tested for the onset of heart disease. Obtaining the services of the best Internist they can locate is crucial in detecting a full range of maladies. Deaths associated with heart disease, prostate cancer, colon cancer, Etc. would plummet with regular exams by a very qualified Internist...

I go to the gym pretty much everyday of the week and my exercising regime consists of about an hour of elevated heart rate combined elleptical/stationnary bike and some mattress exercises for abs. In the summer, this will be supplemental by an hour of biking or inline skating and in the winter, I will attempt to hit the X-country ski trails for a couple of hours for at least one day of the weekend or everyday of my XMas leave period when we have enough snow to do so.

Hauling my diving equipement around combined with the domestic chores graciously provided by my GF cover for the weight training aspect...lol

Wow - great to see so many replies thanks . I have kinda been everywhere on the fitness spectrum at some stage to be honest , from powerlifting to the ironman triathlon and now at 38(nearly) , back to general compound weights and bag work .
Now that diving is my thing , It seems better to have a bit if oomph strength wise whilst diving . Perhaps because over a given recerational dive time - ultra intense cardio may give a few minutes , where I feel , additional strength makes the diving experience more comfortable .
Each to their own I suppose .

Back
Top Bottom