Fix s90/s95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floridafish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anybody heard if the FIX S90 housing can be modified to fit the new S95? I asked Reef and they are expecting to talk with FIX this week or next.

Based on another thread, it seems Ike has been able to make this happen.

FF

There are already several threads that have asked this question.

The answer now, as far as is known, is likely not. However, Ikelite claims compatibility back and forth between their S90 and new S95 housings and both the S90 and S95 cameras. The Fisheye/FIX site does not mention anything about a S95. I would watch this webpage for updates:

Google Translate

The FIX housing is not a generic plastic shoe box like the Ikelite, the fit tolerance for the camera and controls is much more precise for good function in the FIX. We can always hope FIX offers a retro-fit kit, or you guys can, I have two S90s and will not be purchasing a S95 regardless. I wouldn't count on it or hold my breath.

But I cross my fingers for you.

N

Thanks Nemrod--I love my S90 and the FIX housing, but I was planning on buying a backup camera (just in case of you-know-what--best not to say it outloud) and would have liked to have gotten the S95 and have used the S90 as the backup.

Maybe, maybe FIX will be able to do something--

FF

I previous has a Canon SD780IS which I bought a Ikelite housing for. It worked great (in means of it didn't leak) for approx 14 dives I did in Thailand earlier this year. That being said the housing was not a 'perfect' fit. The arm that controls the AUTO/CAMERA/VIDEO switch was either slightly too long, or the pocket in which the camera sits in was slightly too 'high'.

Because of this the arm that controls the switch was pressing slightly too hard on the camera. There is a 'black' rubber nub that is on the end of the arm to protect the camera, but it kept wearing off, and in doing so, scratched the camera quite badly. It actually ended up rubbing the camera so badly (that the tiny little nub on the camera to control the switch completely wore off).

I spoke with Ikelite via email and from my local dive shop, and they said that 'they've never had a case do this before'. Well yes I can understand that, but my case IS doing it. This was even after sending them pictures from the dive shop that I bought it from. They finally said to send in the case to them, so they could 'retro' fit the arm to work better. But I'm still SOL on my actual camera, which they won't do anything about.

I guess the reason for this long post is because I am going backpacking for some time with my wife, and will be doing a lot more diving. I picked up a S95, which will be my underwater camera, but I'm really stuck now if I should get another Ikelite housing (which other than my incident, I've heard nothing but good things), OR get the Canon housing (.. meh?) OR the Fix.

Obviously the Fix is a LOT more $$$. But with the amount of diving I'm doing (hoping to do at least 30-40 dives next year), is it worth it?

IMHO - Canon housing - good enough, FIX/RecSea housing - GREAT.

I guess because I'm backing for quite a few months, 'durability' is something that is a little of concern. The Canon housings just look 'cheap' to me. Ikelite obviously looks more durable, then the FIX/RecSea (thanks for mentioning recsea haven't heard of them before) looks the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom