fixes for consumption rate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fnog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I have 8 dives on the cobalt1, but all of them have wrong consumption info:
- the first four dives I did on regs that had to be left unmodified, in a 20m tank pool, so the cobalt was just recoding the ambient pressure (3bar) of the pool through its HP sensor.
- the last four dives, the cobalt was connected to 15liter tanks, while it was set on 12liters.

Is there a way that I can correct that data so that I do not get wacky consumption estimates ?

NB1: in a cylindric pool, while doing rescue ascent exercises, I wish I could turn off the alarms. They bounce loud and weird.
NB2: I wish I could simply set the liquid volume of the tanks like 12l, or 15l. The screen for tank is showing me a mix of liters and psi (whereas I have set preferences to bar !) and that is confusing.

--

Hi Fnog...I am going to take this information and pass it along to our Cobalt technician Adan and see what he has to say. I will post what Adan has to say about your inquiry. Thank you for the post and I will get back to you shortly. Thank you Fnog....

Hi,

I have 8 dives on the cobalt1, but all of them have wrong consumption info:
- the first four dives I did on regs that had to be left unmodified, in a 20m tank pool, so the cobalt was just recoding the ambient pressure (3bar) of the pool through its HP sensor.
- the last four dives, the cobalt was connected to 15liter tanks, while it was set on 12liters.

Is there a way that I can correct that data so that I do not get wacky consumption estimates ?

NB1: in a cylindric pool, while doing rescue ascent exercises, I wish I could turn off the alarms. They bounce loud and weird.
NB2: I wish I could simply set the liquid volume of the tanks like 12l, or 15l. The screen for tank is showing me a mix of liters and psi (whereas I have set preferences to bar !) and that is confusing.

--

To answer your questions:

There isn't any way to change a consumption figure in the dive log if the tank size was entered incorrectly, or if it was not connected to a tank. But apart from the log being wrong the only place it will meaningfully alter anything else is in the simulator, which by default uses an average of the last 10 dives for gas consumption prediction when dive planning. However you can enter any value you want in the simulator under Simulation Setup, so you can avoid bad predictions until you have better data by entering a value manually. Technically this will also skew the gas time remaining calculations at the very beginning of a dive, as the running average of the last 10 dives is also used as the initial figure for consumption- but this is rapidly overwhelmed by the actual recorded consumption on that dive and any effect will disappear after a very few minutes.

I hear you :wink: about the alarms. Some can be turned off, like low gas, or made silent, under Dive Settings. But things like ascent alarms and out of gas are always on. We have had requests for, and are considering, an "Expert" mode where all alarms could be disabled. I guess it's progress that we have gone from complaints about not being able to hear the alarms to them being too loud...

There are three options for how tank size is displayed- Cubic feet @ psi, Cubic feet @ bar, and liquid volume in liters- which is what I think you are asking for. You can find this setting in Settings-- Gas/ Tank Settings-- Select a mix, and Seelct Edit an individual mix from the pop-up menu. For each mix you have the option to set the tank size and units. You can do this independently for each tank you use, they don't all need to be done the same way. This is also independent of how your tank pressure is displayed in the dive screen- to change your display there to bar you would go to Settings-- Preferences and change the units for pressure. Does this fit with what you see, or am I missing your question?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Ron

Ron,
thanks for the quick reply.
I guess I got confused about the tank size, because this is indeed exactly what I need -no alteration required-
Regarding the alarms, I will wait for the next major firmware.

The info about the consumption rate updates for gas remaining during each dive is very interesting. Are there documents available with this level of detail ? I do not remember reading this in the user manual.

Regards,
--

Ron,
thanks for the quick reply.
I guess I got confused about the tank size, because this is indeed exactly what I need -no alteration required-
Regarding the alarms, I will wait for the next major firmware.

The info about the consumption rate updates for gas remaining during each dive is very interesting. Are there documents available with this level of detail ? I do not remember reading this in the user manual.

Regards,
--
Glad that answered your question. There are quite literally many hundreds of details in how data gets handled under different circumstances in a dive computer, and for one with a sophisticated user interface like the Cobalt it gets even more complex, as the user has many additional ways to interact with the computer. Working out all these interactions in the firmware is the large majority of the effort in designing a dive computer. I don't think we could go to that level of detail in the user manual without having it run to 1500 pages- and then no one would ever read it. :wink: But feel free to ask if you have questions- we're nerds about dive computers, and happy to discuss.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom