FL Fishing License questions (TIA).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skeeter_D

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be in FL this week, supporting your dive shops and charter boats to the best of my ability. :D

The big question: Do I need a FL Saltwater Fishing License to spear Lionfish??? I WILL NOT be harvesting any other species, and I do not intend to bring any remnants to the surface (if I do see & shoot one). I only want to help the natural residents of the reefs that I may visit.

If yes -

IF the charter boat captain or operator has a fishing license, does it cover all of the divers on the boat, so an individual license may not be required???

===========

I didn't see any references to this when using the search function... Not sure if this has been covered before.

Thanks.

It's my understanding that if you've got a spear in FL waters, you need to be covered by the Charter Boat's license or have your own license.

regardless of if you are spearing for Lionfish or not. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If the charter boat operator has a license for his charter, it covers everyone in the boat. Best to ask the captain directly to verify what his boat is covered under.

I will be in FL this week, supporting your dive shops and charter boats to the best of my ability. :D

The big question: Do I need a FL Saltwater Fishing License to spear Lionfish??? I WILL NOT be harvesting any other species, and I do not intend to bring any remnants to the surface (if I do see & shoot one). I only want to help the natural residents of the reefs that I may visit.

If yes -

IF the charter boat captain or operator has a fishing license, does it cover all of the divers on the boat, so an individual license may not be required???

===========

I didn't see any references to this when using the search function... Not sure if this has been covered before.

Thanks.

For what it's worth, I got a three day license online - you get to print out the web page in case your license won't arrive in time. I have no idea on the charter license.

You can call the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) at 188-347-4356 and order a license they will give you a confirmation number so you can spear that day. I have done this on the boat on the way out to the site before. I agree with Mike ask the captain if you need one you can call it in on the way to the site.

Skeeter,
The answer to your question is "yes", you need a FL saltwater fishing license for ANY hunting activities, including lionfish.

This is from the Florida FWC site

You do not need a saltwater fishing license or a snook or spiny lobster *permit if...
  • You have been accepted as a client for developmental services by the Department of Children and Family Services. The department must furnish proof to such clients.
  • You fish from a for-hire vessel (guide, charter, party boat) that has a valid vessel license.
  • You fish from a vessel, the operator of which has a valid vessel license issued in the name of the operator of the vessel.
Check with the Capt of the boat and see if they have a license, if not you need a saltwater fishing license

Cool, guys. Thanks for the information!!!

I didn't want to buy a license for the privelage of killing lionfish. I would buy a license if I was going to be collecting dinner, but that is not my plan for this trip. I'll check with Jim & John on Loggerhead and the guys at Jupiter Dive Center.

Dennis' post was more accurate than mine. If your vessel operator has a guide/charter license, you would be covered. In my experience, most dive ops do not. The captain/crew may have their own personal licenses, but that would not cover you. They need a license specifically for the purpose of guiding clients.

I wasted my college years mating on charter boats!

I wasted my college years mating on charter boats!
And you got paid for that?
Tips and stuff?

WOW!

Chug
Likes mating also.
Nobody ever paid me for it though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom