Fla- Devils Den/Rainbow River/Blue Grotto ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wanadive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi~ Headed to Fla for the weekend for the first open water dive---any advice on the above locations ? Anything from the location, diving, where to stay, where to eat...etc.
Thanks ! C

We just got back. The Williston Inn is only $40/nite. But you should have reservations.
We did Blue Grotto and Devils Den. Loved them both! If you do Blue grotto, make sure you don't miss the diving bell. Have fun

I just got back from there as well... There's not a lot in Williston.. I heard that there is a good restaurant there, called the Ivy House, although we went into Gainesville the one night we had there... Also, $40 is a fair price for the Williston Inn. :wink: It's no Embassy Suites, but if you will only be there 1-2 nights, it'll do... (although I must say that my window-unit A/C dripped water all night long, and if I had it to do over again I'd have booked $anywhere_else$ in Gainesville!)

Best of luck to you on your dives!

My first two dives after OW cert was Blue Grotto - not much more to do or see after 15 minutes, but you do get to go to 60 feet. Looked at Devils Den and all the catfish were kinda creepy. Did Rainbow River as my second and it was really nice. Things to see. Bottom geysers, gar, turtles, bass and shallow. Would recommend Rainbow River to ALL newbies.

Howdy and welcome to SB!

It would help if you'd add your location to your profile. :thumb:

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Dove em all, multiple times..you'll have a great time...Water temp is 72 degrees year round, and crystal clear. All 3 are in very small towns so not much to see or do other than dive. Have Fun

The "Boiling Sand" in the Rainbow River is kind of cool. You can also see some interesting life around there as it does'nt get as over crowded by divers.

Of the 3, my vote goes to Rainbow River. Lots more to see there than the other 2 locations. Sign up with American Pro Dive Center for a morning manatee snorkel/dive and an afternoon drift dive.

Not sure when you are planning to go, but manatees are kinda seasonal. They come inland when the gulf gets too cold. Best time to see them is late fall to early spring.

Have been to Blue grotto and Devils Den. Did my OW check out dives there. I did return to blue grotto once since then, It s definatly worth it. Also im not sure how far it is from there to ginny springs, but if you have time and its not to far, Id highly recommend a trip there.

anyways let me know how the trip goes...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom