Fla. Keys. Looking for a nice place to stay and take wife and kids...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PM Speargirl. She has some nice places in Key Largo that she cuts us great deals on. They are condos not hotel rooms. They are also very close to John Penneykamp park so there will be plenty of snorkling for you.

I stayed at the Ramada Inn. It was nothing special. But when I'm in Florida the only thing I do in my hotel is sleep and shower. Its right on the marina so you can get to all the activities right away. Have fun!

Oh the ramada inn I'm talking about is in Key Largo btw. Not to much for the Kids to do in Key Largo unless they dive, snorkel or fish!

I agree with Git-r-dun, the condo we stayed in at Kawama's had a massive amount of space and there was a sundeck, pool and a beach with a small lagoon on property. Nice and quiet but just a couple blocks off US 1 in Key Largo.

You will not find a better place or a better deal than Becky's (aka speargirl ) offer for scubaboard members if you are looking to stay in Key Largo.

Upper Keys- Key Largo/Islamorada Vacation Rentals. Special Rates for SB members $150 & up sleeps 6-8 Kawama Yacht Club/Private Homes. Complete Vacation Pkgs. Available
Diverkeylargo@aol.com 305 587-1925
Becky

If you are specifically interested in a hotel, I find the Holiday Inn at the KL Marina to be a little nicer place (i.e. updated rooms and grounds) for the family to hang out or for non-divers vs. the Ramada or Marina Del Mar. The HIKL pool area does get crowded quickly on weekends, though I have no idea why anyone would want to be there vs. on a dive boat. :shrug: I can tell you that, for whatever reason, it does happen with amazing regularity.

I prefer the Hungry Pelican if its just me, but IMO its too rustic if I'm going to be bringing the family. YMMV.

Another thumbs' up for Kawama. Two bedrooms and two baths, gives you more privacy from the kiddeos ::wink:: It's a nice gated community with two pools, a saltwater snorkeling pond with fish, a marina, a fishing pier, a beach, chickee huts, and close to some GREAT restaurants and anything else you might need. If it was just you and the wife, you'd be OK in a motel room but with the kids, it's just nicer to have the condo unit...1,200 SF with a balcony; if you get some rainy weather, or after dark, you just aren't as cramped as a family in one hotel room.

The kids can snorkel in the saltwater pond or off the beach at Kawama, or you're just 2.5 miles from Pennekamp's lagoon where they can see cannons and fish and sometimes manatees.

Amy Slates's Amoray Dive Resort is a good place for families. The boat seems to cater to snorkelers

Amy's boat is probably OK (although you'll have a mix of divers and snorkelers), but I'd recommend that anyone thinking of renting a room there search through old posts here.

I've never heard any complaints about the snorkeler-only charter that runs right out of the park.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom