Flare with the DX-1G and the Wideangle adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flabbie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I quite often get an annoying flare on the picture when I use the DX1G together with the wideangle adapter and external strobes.

I am wondering if someone else out there has this problem and perhaps even a solution?

Light must come from somewhere, but from where? Could it perhaps be the internal strobe?

/Flabbie

HI Flabbie-
Maybe you can offer a bit more information - does this only occur with the wide-angle lens and strobes or in any instance? Are you shooting into light - like up to the surface or with sun flares? What strobes are you using?

Thanks for your questions! Yes, it occurs only with wide angle lens and strobes. I`m using two Sea & Sea strobes, YS110 and YS110 Alpha. It doesn´t really happen when I take pictures with the sun, it happens more when I take pictures into light (not against the sun of course). I´m unsure if it has something to do with the strobes.
Thanks, it would be helpful from your experience if you had some good hints.

Regards,
Flabbie

It may be helpful to post a few pics so that we can see exactly what is happening. I have the wide angle lens and use it with my 110 strobes and have not experienced your issue.

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill,
Thanks for your post! Here are two examples. Going through my pictures I realized that it happens closer towards the surface. I will probably go diving next weekend and I will try to find out more about it and I will make sure that the wide angle is properly cleaned. I will also try to find out if it has something to do with the position of the strobes.

Thank you and best regards,
Flabbie

Attachments

• Flare_2.jpg
    Flare_2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Flare_1.jpg
    Flare_1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 59
HI Flabbie-
We see what you are referring to on the right side of the images. Is this visible in images taken without the housing on land?
A few things - 1) mark or debris on camera lens, 2) mark or debris on inside of housing 3) camera sensor 4) light from camera's on-board strobe "leaking" down.
If it is not apparent on land images without the housing it could be #3 or 4.

Hello,
Thanks for your post! It appears only under water. I have planned to go diving coming weekend and I will observe carefully in what occasions the flare appears.

Regards,
Flabbie

Hello,

I went diving again last weekend. Now I believe the flare had something to do with the positioning of my strobes. I put the arms as much apart as possible and the flare didn`t appear. I cannot really explain this, but I believe that I somehow positioned the strobes wrong before.

Thank you very much for your feedbacks before!
Best regards,
Flabbie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom