Flash Diffuser? How do you use yours? Or do you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I couldn't believe that I had missed the External Flash (strobe) settings before when I finally read about them the other day. I have been studying my manual looking for points I may have missed, and lo! There it was! :11:
Using the Flash in External Flash Mode

When the camera is set to Ext Flash mode the camera’s flash will always fire. This will trigger the SeaLife External Flash (SL960) or Digital Flash (SL960D) to fire.

In order to achieve proper image exposure, it may be necessary to select from one of the following three flash modes:
  • NORMAL FLASH - This is the default setting ideal for proper exposure from 1 yd (1m) to 2 yd (2m).
  • MACRO FLASH - This flash setting is ideal for shooting distances inside of 1 yd. (1m)
  • FAR FLASH - Select this flash mode for best exposure beyond 2 yds (2m) shooting distance.
:dunce: And all this time I've been wishing that I could do that, trying to shoot beyond 6 feet, and within 3 ft without overflashing. So nice that I finally learned that I can - and how: Footnote: "Press the flash button and select the appropriate flash mode using the" An illustrative pic would have been nice. :shakehead:

The only thing said about the diffuser in the manual tho....
6. Use the SeaLife Flash Accessories to enhance color and brightness.
Water filters out light and red/yellow colors resulting in darker, bluer images. The only way to prevent this from occurring is by taking pictures at shallow depths (within 10-15’ depth on a sunny day) or by using artificial light, like the SeaLife External (SL960) or Digital (SL960D) Flash. The Flash easily mounts to the
bottom of the housing. The flexible arm allows you to direct the flash at the subject. Even two flashes can be mounted onto the housing for an evenly illuminated and shadow-free image. This system blocks the built-in flash and prevents backscatter. The flexible flash arms allow quick adjustments of the flash. An optional Flash Diffuser can be snapped onto the flash head and is highly recommended for close-up shots of bright, reflective subjects.
:confused: Now that I have finally discovered the macro mode for the strobe, do I need to bother with the diffuser on any but the whitest backgrounds if I am not using a close-up lens...?

BTW, if you haven't downloaded the manual for your camera to your computer, I suggest that it's a good idea. Makes :search: so much easier than just reading.

thanks for your opinion....!

Don, are you using the 960 or 960D? I have the 960D, no diffuser. But, the 960D has a knob/dial on it to turn the power up or down. Then it becomes a matter of experience as to where to set it, and takes some time. I find I have it most of the way down in Carribean waters. At home in the Great Lakes, half or more unless I'm really close. I just leave the camera setting on "Normal", so it's consistent and then I use the knob.

I will be interested to see how others respond.

Bob

Don, are you using the 960 or 960D? I have the 960D, no diffuser. But, the 960D has a knob/dial on it to turn the power up or down. Then it becomes a matter of experience as to where to set it, and takes some time. I find I have it most of the way down in Carribean waters. At home in the Great Lakes, half or more unless I'm really close. I just leave the camera setting on "Normal", so it's consistent and then I use the knob.

I will be interested to see how others respond.

Bob
960, and now I finally know that I can adjust the flash between 3 different settings. I wonder if the diffuser was a mistake...?

Thanks, I guess it's going to vary with viz, depth, background - try, learn, adjust. Won't hurt to take it on the dives.

I just got a 960D and even with the flash turned way down to minimum, my pics were washed out. I bought a diffuser and the pictures are much better.

Sometimes mine get washed out too. I have a couple shots of splendid toads down on the white sand, where it looks like I've cranked up the intensity. I have learned to more or less determine from the preview if that is the case, and sometimes re-shoot if possible. But, another thing I have learned is that you should move the flash arm outward, upward, or downward as applicable so as to not hit the subject directly in some cases, especially if the background or subject is light colored.

I have a DC500, BTW, with the SL960D strobe.

I have the 960D with no diffuser and I am not planning on getting one. If the picture is washed out then I just move the strobe away or bounce the light off of something. It takes a lot of experience to get it right. I am working on it though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom