flash for Canon A70

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aussie_Mel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
HI all

I have a Canon A70 & WP-DC700 Underwater Housing and was wanting to know if anyone has used a strob/flash for this camera.

I have thought of getting a Sealife Sl960D or a Sea & Sea Ys-15Auto, but not sure if any of them work with my camera?

If anyone has any info i would love to hear it.

Thanks
Marc

I used the Sunpak G-Flash up until my A70 died. I had pretty decent results using this combo.

Although you have to be VERY careful with the battery compartment on the G-Flash as they are prone to flooding.

Whatever strobe you end up with, just be sure that it has a pre-flash mode. Because the Cannons (and most digitals) use a pre-flash before the main flash which helps determine exposure. If the strobe does not componsate for this, the stobe will fire prematurely and all your pictures will be underexposed.

Parrothead_Diver:
...Whatever strobe you end up with, just be sure that it has a pre-flash mode. Because the Cannons (and most digitals) use a pre-flash before the main flash which helps determine exposure. If the strobe does not componsate for this, the stobe will fire prematurely and all your pictures will be underexposed.

The Sealife Digital Flash can go up to 4 preflashes (depending on the camera) The manual has a easy test to determin how many preflashes you specific camera has. My Canon A520 has 2 preflashes, but the manual mode has 0 preflashes.

Thanks guys for that info :)

I am a bit confused about this talk about preflash on the my cannon A70?
I can not find anything in the manual about it and i use the camera i only see the one flash.
Is the Preflash some thing that happens so fast that you cant see or is it like red eye reduction?

Thanks
Marc

I have a Canon Powershot A70 use and Ikelite DS 50 (since replaced with the DS51) with the EV controller. Camera is in manual mode and so is the strobe. The pre-flash is not a problem because you can set the controller to account for it. Look at page 67 of the manual for information on settings for the flash.

Hi, yes those photos were taken using the strobe. I am not really that good and it is just a hobby for me. I found that the strobe was fairly easy to use, albeit a bit expensive. It is more about technique, and mine requires alot of work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom