Flatulation, can it occur with scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes! I've been waiting years for this thread! Nothing like the feeling of those bubbles tickling up your back under your suit. I just can't figure out how to "toot" rings!:D

drl:
I can't explain the physiology or the physics, but I have demonstrated empirically that it is possible to pass gas at depth (at least at 40 feet or so) without distress. And I didn't see any fish fleeing!

Dead fish don't flee :eyebrow:

Warren_L:
You're doing it all wrong! Never say anything until it's too late. Unless of course, you've pulled the same trick before. :)

Then one develops a reputation for . . . let's say . . . rude off-gassing and must buy a self donning suit! :rofl3:

Meng_Tze:
Muscles what, smooth? Where do you come up with this?
Smooth muscle, as opposed to striated muscle (such as skeletal and cardiac muscle).
Meng_Tze:
(ps. I was trolling a bit, enough now. I can see how I am going to get all scientific answers to something trivial)
Didn't you get the memo? The punishment for light trolling is having your remarks dispassionately replied to in detail. :D (Hey, it's a hobby.)

fisherdvm:
Why would it be an issue in a drysuit?? Is it because the gas in your colon is more pressurized than the gas in the drysuit, causing an increase in buoyancy??

That shouldn't be an issue, but when you unzip the drysuit after the dive, that's another story...

*edit: guess I should have read the rest of the thread, I see this have been covered several times already :)

This gives my daddy's favorite saying......

"That's about as funny as a fart in a wetsuit"
a whole new meaning!!! :D Thanks for the chuckle, gang!​

Can you insert a peevalve for your gas?? I wonder if you need adhesives? Then, can you use your peevalve for 2 different functions.... I mean, like if you put a Y on it, with a one way valve on both the inlets (to prevent backflow), you theoretically can use the same peevalve for 2 functions, right??

Is there a DIR directive on how this is done?

I've never looked at a guage while releasing, but I have no problem purging at any depth that I've noticed....

Jeff

fisherdvm:
I think that is due to a law of physics. For every action, there is a reaction. As the air has mass, and the water it displaces has mass - for the air to go back, you must go forward.
The equal reaction he is............ a smile of relief.:D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom