Flights....currently cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, when I was scheduling my trip to the Bahamas last month, one airline wanted to fly from Dulles to Charlotte the Nassau for one price, but if I drove down to Charlotte and got on THE SAME PLANE THERE, they would charge me MORE!! Where’s the logic there? I’m guessing they’re getting some sort of subsidies or something. 🤨

🐸

It has always been that way. Atlantans are beholden to Delta. If we want to travel somewhere, the most convenient—and sometimes the only—flight is more than likely Delta. A couple of times when my wife and I felt like saying screw you to Delta, we drove a couple of hours from Atlanta to Birmingham, AL, overnighted in a motel, and took a flight from Birmingham connecting through Atlanta to Bonaire. Even factoring in the cost of gas and motel, it was a hundred bucks cheaper per person than taking the same plane but starting in Atlanta.
I’m just floored by that! Good work around, though, 😁.

Yeah, when I was scheduling my trip to the Bahamas last month, one airline wanted to fly from Dulles to Charlotte the Nassau for one price, but if I drove down to Charlotte and got on THE SAME PLANE THERE, they would charge me MORE!! Where’s the logic there? I’m guessing they’re getting some sort of subsidies or something. 🤨

🐸
Let me guess. Was it American? Charlotte is a major AA hub. AA controls most of the flights out of Charlotte, so they have a lot of power to set the price. Just like Delta and Atlanta.

My american flights from Tampa Bay to Bonaire via Miami layover were bought 3 weeks ago for flights the week after Labor Day. They were just shy of $700 each. Where you live and where you fly through makes a huge difference. It really makes no sense that longer flights from northern destinations are cheaper than a shorter flight, but I guess its all about supply and demand and being able to move their planes to locations they need them in.

LAX-BON Roundtrip Saturdays to the following Sundays, 40K united miles or $480 worth of miles or although full cash price is $1200+

Also to Tahiti, LAX-PPT Roundtrip under $600

LAX-BON Roundtrip Saturdays to the following Sundays, 40K united miles or $480 worth of miles or although full cash price is $1200+
We're flying LAX to BON in January, Monday departure, Tuesday return, on AA and found a similar pricing scheme: we paid about $490 in AA FF miles, while the cash price was around $1100.

It has always been that way. Atlantans are beholden to Delta. If we want to travel somewhere, the most convenient—and sometimes the only—flight is more than likely Delta. A couple of times when my wife and I felt like saying screw you to Delta, we drove a couple of hours from Atlanta to Birmingham, AL, overnighted in a motel, and took a flight from Birmingham connecting through Atlanta to Bonaire. Even factoring in the cost of gas and motel, it was a hundred bucks cheaper per person than taking the same plane but starting in Atlanta.
Huh.....I'm in the ATL as well and never thought about checking another departing airport like Birmingham. Have to start looking at that......although I like being able to sleep in a bit lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom