Float plane operations while diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're probably safer from an airplane than from a boat. Assuming you surface in time to see the plane landing in your direction, you could easily make an emergency descent. Floats on floatplanes don't draft 1' at the most. Unless it's a flying boat....they would draft significantly more, but without the whirling 'prop-of-death' under the stern.

As for the flag, the pilot would probably be able to see it some time before touching down, and would try to avoid landing on it.

derwoodwithasherwood:
True. Timing is everything. The risk of an airplane landing is no greater than the risk
of a boat happening by at that particular moment in time.

here, i must quarrel with your logic, deduction, induction, major and minor premise,
and, sadly, your conclusion :crafty:

there being far fewer landing planes than boats in any given body of water;

and whereas boats are always in the water if moving under their own power,
as opposed to planes that shortly move upon the water initially and
terminally, but are essentially vehicles of a different medium (to whit, air)

thereof it may be said that the chances of being hit by a plane are far lesser
than being hit by a boat whilst in the water

derwoodwithasherwood:
I was thinking of that. If it's big enough to be seen from the air, is it still classified as a flag or is it bordering on a sail? :rofl:

(I'm not a pilot, but apparently flags are hard to spot from up there. I'm told that's why wind socks are 3 dimensional.)

As a pilot he would be required to circle the area he intended to land to make sure the area is clear (as this is considered a uncontrolled seaport). From 1000ft a wind sock (which really isnt that big) it is easy to make out, but I'm sure if you have a big enough flag it would be easy to make out as well. If the pilot saw something but was unable to determine what it was he can fly as low as 500ft from any object above water.

H2Andy:
here, i must quarrel with your logic, deduction, induction, major and minor premise,
and, sadly, your conclusion :crafty:

there being far fewer landing planes than boats in any given body of water;

and whereas boats are always in the water if moving under their own power,
as opposed to planes that shortly move upon the water initially and
terminally, but are essentially vehicles of a different medium (to whit, air)

thereof it may be said that the chances of being hit by a plane are far lesser
than being hit by a boat whilst in the water

Well, I think I said the risk was "no greater", so I'm not sure where the quarrel lies, but no matter...

You are almost certainly correct -- on any summer weekend when the citiots come out to play. During the week in the off season, about 1 in 7 residents have float planes. Not counting friends and visitors of course -- being springfed means visitors do not come by boat to this lake but there's no such restriction on aircraft. Everyone does have a boat (or two) but half of those are non-motorized, half the remaining are pontoon boats puttering around the shore and most of the remaining craft are tied up at the dock awaiting the grandkids' weekend visits.

I once read that Canada has the highest per-capita percentage of private pilots in the world, so perhaps the ratio of planes to boats is different where you live.

teknitroxdiver:
You're probably safer from an airplane than from a boat. Assuming you surface in time to see the plane landing in your direction, you could easily make an emergency descent. Floats on floatplanes don't draft 1' at the most.

Good point. I should have a fast look up after surfacing. And surface closer to shore where a plane won't likely be landing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom