Floating Booties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LavaSurfer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am sure this has never come up :wink: (Pun Intended)
I noticed my booties make my feet float up.

I played with all kinds of weight positions.

I use a 6lb DSS plate and a 40# wing. With a 3 mil shorty I put 2x2lb on my tank straps using x-pockets. I was noticing that I was head heavy, or so it seemed.
The problem existed long before my wing was purchased, I remember a DM telling me my feet were light and I needed ankle weights.

First I tried moving my tank down, then I tried all the weight on the lower strap then I moved it to the top strap and that’s when it hit me, it wasn't my trim, it was my feet. as soon as I stopped moving they were headed for the safety stop.

The other day I did a test and laid on the bottom in about 45 feet and dumped the wing. Within seconds my feet were headed to the surface. I added a little air to my wing and had I not kicked I would have started up feet first.

I am inclined to bolt a few ounces of lead to each fin but I am more inclined to bag the booties for something less buoyant. Any ideas? Pennies in my toes? LOL

BTW, I think they are 7mm Deep Sea boots.

Are your arms extended when your feet rise, or do you notice whether that has any effect? If you are grossly lightfooted that would be uncomfortable, I guess. But it seems most people have the opposite trim problem (feet that sink.)

If the problem is less severe with arms retracted or trailing, and/or deeper inhale then you are trimmed right at my desired setting. If you go head down unless you roll or kick, you should probably weight those little piggies. What's the buoyancy of your fins, BTW?

michaelb51:
Are your arms extended when your feet rise, or do you notice whether that has any effect?
Doesn't matter, during test I was folding my arms I think, that’s the standard way I dive, Arms folded or back under the tank.

michaelb51:
If the problem is less severe with arms retracted or trailing, and/or deeper inhale then you are trimmed right at my desired setting. If you go head down unless you roll or kick, you should probably weight those little piggies. What's the buoyancy of your fins, BTW?
Fins are slightly negative.
I can achieve almost perfect horizontal but as soon as I stop I immediately notice my feet start up. Not my waist or butt but my feet. If I totally relax its very obvious.

When relaxed, my knees bend, my feet start up and eventually I will drag into a vertical feet up position. If I move weight down to the lower straps then I stay horz but my legs bent at the knees and my feet go up. Basically I hover fine but I look like a sky diver with feet training behind.

With fear and intrepidation I post this picture and open myself to the thrashing.
This is me hovering effortlessly and totally relaxed except for the floating feet
floaters.JPG

I'd say that you look almost perfect in the water--that's really how you should look.
Horizontal with your legs up so that you aren't kicking the reef or kicking up silt.
Seriously---what you have is a GOOD thing.

If you actually want to solve this problem, get a set of ScubaPro JetFins with some spring straps. They're nice and negative in the water...:wink:

SparticleBrane:
I'd say that you look almost perfect in the water--that's really how you should look.
Horizontal with your legs up so that you aren't kicking the reef or kicking up silt.
Seriously---what you have is a GOOD thing.

If you actually want to solve this problem, get a set of ScubaPro JetFins with some spring straps. They're nice and negative in the water...:wink:

Maybe I am overthinking it. When I am finning the slightest bit, I never notice it. Its only when I stop to take a picture or I an in a lava tube and want to hover and look around.

Clench your butt muscles, that'll help hold your legs in place. :wink:

I agree, you look quite well trimmed to me. Next time you get the chance, try bringing your knees and feet a little forward to counteract the eventual head down bob.

Most folks are happy to be upright. But skydiver position is just what I strive for. And I'd rather be light in the feet than heavy there. If a slight shortening of the moment "arm" of your feet will stop the head bobble, you're "good to go," IMO.

you can try the ankle weights, wear your belt as low as possible, place your tank low, change the boots for a pair of converse...

How many dives with the boots, the more you wear the boots the neoprene will compress more and more and they boots will become less bouyant.

My wife had the exact same problem. When she would stop if she didn't move at all her fett were above her head, neat trick but pretty annoying to stand on your head when you don't intend to. A pair of 1.5 lb sea pearls ankle weights fixed the problem. Now she can lay motionless and her feet stay where they should and no more standing on her head.

Back
Top Bottom