Floating or neutral?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AevnsGrandpa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently purchased a basic ReefMaster 35mm camera and housing which is positively bouyant. I was thinkning of making a small plate to mount on the tripod mount to make it neutral.

Is this a good idea or not? Is it best to keep it positive so if I accidently let go it goes to the surface, or is it better to have where it would just stay right where I am?

Thanks for the input!

Jeff

I prefer slightly negative so I can set it on the bottom if necessary. If positive it goes to the surface where it may or may not be recovered. Keep a lanyard of some type on it.

Too negative and it might sink into the abyss, too positive it may float up to the surface and drift away, and neutral could still be carried off in a current.
Whichever way, as others have said, clip it on so you don't have to worry about losing it in the first place. A coiled lanyard is one of the best options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom