Flood on trip- Any suggestions? (Ikelite compact digital)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaSoulSelf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My ikelite compact digital housing with Elph 110 flooded on 2nd dive today (in salt water). Maybe about 1/4" to 1/2" of water inside. Camera was not on during descent.

was close enough to get back up and get camera to captain. battery and card removed quickly. Now drying in room.

MyDH/buddy thinks the latch location is not optimal.

Camera and housing were brand new. 5 dives with no issues.

Anyone else had issues with uneven seal, latch issues? I still have 4 days before end of trip.

Thanks!

(Edit:didn't mean comment to be snarky. Believe Ikelite has good rep, which is why I wanted one!).

Last edited:
Not to be a smart ass but if it stayed dry for 5 dives the only thing different was you opening and sealing it :(

Did you read the housing's instruction manual? Did your dealer make recommendations how to best use this housing as they are very robust when following a few tips?

I've sold dozens and used them for weeks on dive trips............

Just part of what I offer when people buy from an actual user of Ikelite gear. (Canon S90 ULTRAcompact Housing used for shot below)

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Attachments

• IMG_3317.jpg
    IMG_3317.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 166
Thanks for replies so far.

Yep, I know opening and fiddling around with case is asking for trouble. Have only used Canon OEM case with my G10 and never ever had an issue.

Yep#2, read manual before we left. :). Bought from LP, no contact with dealer.

Just changed battery a couple of days ago. Camera had been opened in room early this am because I was having issues with the shorter rubber tips not activating all controls at depth. I changed them out to longer ones, then went on first dive today 67 fsw no issues. Returned to shop for long SI. Always do fresh water rinse and replace camera in padded bag.

The only thing we thing might have happened is that one of the latches may have gotten bumped on ride out for 2nd dive. One seems to be easier to release than the other.

Or maybe my luck ran out and it was time for a flood due to something I missed.

Card is safe, not sure on battery. Will track down some rice at hotel.

You're wanting to minimize the buildup of salt crystals on both the moving parts and to lessen corrosion of the circuitry. You might soak it in distilled water first before putting it in the rice. It sort of depends on how much water got in where - I'm not familiar with your camera. I've seen that work twice - otherwise see what Canon can do when you get back. My buddy sent them his camera/housing after it completely flooded. They thought it might have been a manufacturing defect. A few weeks later he received his housing back with all new seals and a new camera - for free.

Thanks again to everyone for the replies.

Unfortunately, we couldn't save the camera. I think if we had been able to get distilled water and isopropyl alcohol (and jeweler's kit), we might have been able to revive it... maybe. We may send it in to Canon, but the repair will probably be cost-prohibitive. The card was saved and is working fine.

When we returned from our trip, I sent the housing in to Ikelite to make sure there wasn't any damage or issues that we couldn't see. It checked out fine on the pressure test and no other issues other than a bit of sand/salt in the button of the latch. They are giving it a thorough cleaning and lubrication and sending it back to me.

I will have to chalk this one up to operator error. At least I only killed an Elph and not my G10.

(Moderator: this thread probably should be in the Ikelite forum, thanks).

Sadly once salt water hits electronics they typically are beyond repair. I can't recall anyone every saving a camera or lens. As mentioned 99.9% of the time these turn out to be human error. If you want to stay with the same rig you can pick up the camera for less than it would cost to pressure test the housing. Just put a soft weight in the housing and take for a dive, see what happens.

If you want to upgrade there are some great options out there.

As mjh stated salt water fries the electronics. Even if the camera worked afterwards it's usually only for a week or two. There is nothing you could have done to save it.

Back
Top Bottom