Flooded Cobalt Computer - Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlier

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi Ron - A few days ago on a dive trip to Tubbataha Reef, my wife noticed a HP leak from her Cobalt computer. Since she was just beginning her dive, she surface and turned her tank valve off to stop the leak. Upon looking at the Cobalt computer, we noticed that water had entered the internal compartment of the computer. She disconneted the computer and used her back up computer for the rest of the dive. What are you thoughts?

As much as my wife likes the computer, it has failed three times in four years - the key pads and magnets were successfully replaced, but after the dive we could see a water on the motherboard? Suggestions...

Cheers, Charlie

Last edited:
We have 2 cobalts 2s. The atomic rep usually responds pretty quick on sb

Are you saying you could see water through the lens? Unfortunately when water gets into the electronics, the only solution is replacement of the PCB. We won't trust a PCB that has been exposed to water.

I take it this is a Cobalt 1? Atomic has made a LOT of changes to the case design in the last few years to improve reliability, even though the case externally looks the same. Any replacement unit they provide will come with all the upgrades. The keypad/ magnet rusting issue has been solved by Atomic coming up with an injection molding process to fully encapsulate the magnets. The QD O-ring, source of most HP leaks, is a new material and seems to hold up much better- though all these fittings will be subject to wear. Is the hose fitting where she detected the leak? Or were you seeing a leak from the case itself?

I can't recall if her computer was ever sent back to Atomic, or if we just sent you keypads. I'd like to make sure she gets a unit that can provide many trouble free years. If you're back in Seattle I'd be happy to take a look at it, and in any case will work with Atomic to get it restored. If you're still in Singapore then logistics are a little more complicated but we will deal with it. PM me with information (including serial #) and I will help however I can.

Ron

Hi Ron - Thanks for getting back to us, even over a weekend. Yes, its an Cobalt 1. My wife thought that the leak was coming out of the case. Since the leak occurred at the beginning of the dive, it was easy to deal with it without aborting the dive. PM on the way... Charlie

Hi Ron

Please give my thanks to Atomic Aquatics. They replaced Joanne's flooded Cobalt computer with a new computer. Too bad she lost her dive log in the flooded computer, but there was not much we could do about that. My hats off to excellent service from Atomic. Its all go to good.

Back
Top Bottom