Flooded first and second stage pony reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Odo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had always turned my pony valve on so it was always pressurized. I did this because it would have been hard to turn on with the valve behind my back. I recently got a new pony mount that has the tank upside down and the valve at my side; easy to turn on, right at my hip. I also got a new pony reg set up (HOG D2 1st stage and HOG 2nd). I was concerned that this easy breathing reg might free flow, so I pressurized the system before the dive, but then turned the valve off. From what I had read, this was an acceptable way to go. After diving, I dried the din cover with a T shirt and screwed the cap on tight. When I got home I let all my gear soak for an hour or so, as always, taking care not to push the purge button.

Fast forward a couple weeks: I check out my gear in prep for a dive the following day. I unscrewed the din cap and water came pooring out of the first stage. How can this be? I thought maybe the cap was loose and water had gotten in while soaking. I thought the best course of action was to open the first stage as much as possible and dry it out. When I took the second stage hose off, it was also full of water. I tasted it. SALT! Unbelievable. I don't have the tools to take the first stage apart, or the repair course, so I soaked everything in fresh water with all plugs out and apart as far as I could get it. I put the first stage in a 200 degree oven (turned off) to dry it out.

That was the first time I used that reg. First time. Brand new. It ended up full of salt water and then sat for three weeks. My question is: did diving with the pony bottle turned off cause my first and second stage to become flooded? Maybe I hit the purge button? I was scootering and the current was running hard, so maybe the inlet or exhaust valves unseated? I'm not a tech diver, but don't stage bottles go down turned off? Is the lesson I learned the hard way to always dive with my pony bottle valve turned on? I suppose I'll need to get my new equipment serviced. Any help is appreciated.

How much air was left in the pony. It is possible that the reg discharged by the purge getting pushed accidentally. Even if the exhaust diaphragm was rolled or lifted in the current it should not have caused the reg to flood. Normal practice for stage bottles the way I was taught and have done for over 4 years now is to charge then turn off, at the turn point recharge just in case the purge got bumped, and then at the ascent line turn on and leave on. It's what I teach in AOW and Intro Classes as well.

Next thing I was taught was to get rid of the pony tank mount and sling the bottle. That way it's easy to look down and check the spg and see the valve.

I have had a few regulators end up flooded becasue of loosing the charge during the dive. In each and every occasion, the first stage developed an IP creep and had to be rebuilt (both salt and fresh water dives).

I have since gone to a different method. I now keep the regulator on a bungee around my neck so that I can easily tell if a freeflow begins and leave the tank turned on for the entire dive. I have not had a flood since starting this method.

A friend of mine uses a different approach to solve the issue. He has installed an isolator just prior to his second stage. He leaves the tank on, but the isolator off. This method will technically require an OPV to be installed on the 1st stage.

Salt water in a reg for three weeks is a problem. Sorry that happened to you.

I sling my pony when I use one and I leave the regulator on. When I use independent doubles I also leave both valves on.

Let's see, independent doubles are dangerous but independent slung tanks on the side are not? Whatever. If you want a back mounted pony, just got to independent twins and meanwhile consider a slung pony.

Leave the darn regulator on, a pony is not a stage.

N

Thanks for your responses. I will look into the sling method, however, I really don't like stuff hanging off of me. I dive in high currents a lot, spearing and hunting lobster, and don't know how well the sling would work. How do you keep it from getting in the way? What is the purpose of the sling, anyway? I will keep the pony reg on from now on. I' don't have a bungy, but I do have the pony reg clipped on a D-ring below my chin.

You are a closet sidemounter you just don't know it yet. You'll be able to wedge way into those rocks tickling lobster and not worry about banging valves and regs and no more looking up and to the side so you will not hit your damn valve.

Even a tiny leak during descent can cause water to enter the reg as the outside pressure will eventually be higher than the pressure inside the system.
Easy fix is to pressurize your pony at regular intervals on descent by opening and closing the valve. Diving with the valve opened brings the risk of ending up with an empty pony when you need it most and should not be done...

Did you have your reg taken apart and inspected? Is it a sealed 1st stage?

Even a tiny leak during descent can cause water to enter the reg as the outside pressure will eventually be higher than the pressure inside the system.
Easy fix is to pressurize your pony at regular intervals on descent by opening and closing the valve. Diving with the valve opened brings the risk of ending up with an empty pony when you need it most and should not be done...
Unless you sling it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom