Flooded Ikelite/S90 - Advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spencerjb22

Registered
Reaction score
Hello people,

Looking for some advice, as i'm currently gutted about my camera flooding :depressed:

I took my s90/ikelite for a dip in UK waters for the second time ystd as i have just purchased a wide angle screw on lens.

I screwed the lens onto the port pre dive to secure it, then as i entered the water I attempted to unscrew it to clear the air bubbles, and by doing so it loosened the housing port and allowed water to enter the main body and has pretty much killed the camera. The camera has been left to dry, but it won't even turn on, just a amber light.

I am extremely catious with my 'precious' camera kit, but feel that the port on the housing should not have come loose so easily especially after it's second outing.

I now have a dead camera and feel let down due to the design of the Ikelite housing.

I purchased the camera and housing from two differently dealers, I have emailed Ikelite and am awaiting a response, but just gutted after spending approx £1,500 on a set up with macro,wa, strobe etc I am left left with a set up that's useless.

I don't want to claim on my house hold insurance as i've recently has a house repair done on that, and feel that I shouldn't have to as both products are only 2 months old....if you were me what would you advise, and what hope might I have?

thanks in advance for any comments ( even if bad :depressed:)

I thought the lens port on the Ikelite S-90 housing was fixed and not removable? I use the W-20 WA on my Ikelite P&S and don't see how burping the lens can flood the camera. Ikelite is very good with customer service and you will hear from them. Sorry for your loss. Gone through it my self but in my case my idiot friend thought you could change lens on a Nikonas IV underwater, didn't work out so well.

The Ikelite port can unscew. On the surface it is not likely to easily come off, but, take the housing into the water, pressure pushing in on the port can reduce the locking friction due to the compression of the seal. If someone were to over tighten the wet lens on the surface (or underwater) and then submerge to some depth and attempt to remove the wet lens, yes, it might unscrew the port. I would grasp the black ring of the port to ensure this does not happen or better yet, do not over tighten the wet lens or cross thread it. Installing the wet lens on a threaded port, it need only be gently snug, do not grab the lens and twist it on further, turn it on gently, when it comes to a stop under gentle turning, stop!

Caution, sand!!!! There is a tendency for sand to get into the threads, this will tend to lock the lens into the port threads. Avoid sand, if you suspect there is sand in the threads use caution when removing the lens underwater.

Place a witness mark on the lens port and the black ring an the housing to observe that parts that should not move are not moving because if they do, the housing will flood.

Use caution and look at what you are doing as you turn the lens off, if you see that the port is turning, you better stop, "Halt in the name of the law" etc.

The general application of this to Ikelite housings, I dunno, I can only speak for the one I had for my A570IS.

N

Hello people,

... i have just purchased a wide angle screw on lens.

I screwed the lens onto the port pre-dive to secure it, then as i entered the water I attempted to unscrew it to clear the air bubbles, and by doing so it loosened the housing port and allowed water to enter the main body and has pretty much killed the camera. The camera has been left to dry, but it won't even turn on, just a amber light.

I am extremely catious with my 'precious' camera kit, but feel that the port on the housing should not have come loose so easily especially after it's second outing. I now have a dead camera and feel let down due to the design of the Ikelite housing...
I'm sorry for your loss, but ... this is operator error. The housing was not leaking until you unscrewed the port. I can't see how Ikelite is responsible for your action. I know that is difficult to accept, because of the financial loss. But it is done, and the best you can do is go forward, with this as a lesson learned.

It's not repairable, not after immersion. You can sell the camera on eBay for parts, people always need bits and pieces to fix broken ones. You won't get much. I'd buy an S95 to replace it and try to enjoy the new features on the new camera.

For the housing, the best thing to do is rinse out your housing with clean water and dry it very well, with a hair dryer blowing cool air or compressed air if you have it. Some internal fittings will rust, so make sure it is bone dry.

I have installed optional ports on other ikelite housings, and they suggest you place the housing between the knees and spin the port as tight as you can by hand (no tools). There is enough friction on the threads and O-ring so that it won't back out by itself. Use just a tiny bit of grease on the O-ring, enough to slide but not to attract grit.

Nemrod's suggestion of putting a witness mark on the body and port is very good. Personally, I would use a band of duct tape, which will mark the position and lock it down too. There is never a reason to remove this port in normal use, just during a rebuild to replace the rubber O-ring.

Personally, I would use a band of duct tape, which will mark the position and lock it down too. There is never a reason to remove this port in normal use, just during a rebuild to replace the rubber O-ring.

Mighrt be a good idea, maybe, but I would not use duct tape as it leaves a terrible residue that cannot be easily removed, vinyl tapes like electrical tape or clear 3M vinyl tape might be better if you like and employ this idea.

N

Thinking about buying this same setup and this puts a huge wrench in plans. There will be a time UW when I won't even think about this and get burned. I want something that will stone this.
Does this work?

Ikelite port locks

What is Ikelite's stance on this? Jean you there?

Thinking about buying this same setup and this puts a huge wrench in plans. There will be a time UW when I won't even think about this and get burned. I want something that will stone this.
Does this work?

Ikelite port locks

What is Ikelite's stance on this? Jean you there?

I think you are worrying about a non issue. The port coming coming loose on a housing is rare but the precautions mentioned are wise. The locks you linked to are for the dSLR housings and have no application on the compact housings. N

Thanks for the replys and trying to understand my situation.

There will be many of you reading this that are probably really familiar with Ikelite and understand their products inside out. However, I am totally new to to their products and have simply followed their user guide.

When buying anything I will follow the instuctions and follow their guidlines, surely that way I won't become unstuck?
There is nothing in their user guide (unless i'm missing it ) that tells me that the lens port is unscrewable and to take caution when attaching lenses.
It talks about their own w20 lens then states

"NOTE: Accessory 67mm macro lenses designed for under water use may also be attached directly to the front of the housing's port. Bayonet mount lenses cannot be used with this housing"

I cannot find anything else in any of the info that came in the box that gives any guidances for attaching lenses or anywhere that tells you that the port itslef is a removable component. All they give is guidance to keep the glass clean.
Surely Ikleite should provide some clear guidance/warning to people that there is a chance that this 'might' happen?

I spoke to another person who I know who's purchased the same set up as me over the wknd, and he also had no idea that the port is unscrewable, is it really as a new user ( without any guidance from the manufacturer ) wrong to think otherwise?

I really don't think a huge amount of force was used to make this happpen, don't know if I was unlucky and got a port that was not firmly attached in production, who knows.

I genuinly don't think i'm at fault here, I purchased this for the ability to use add on lenses, I have followed the guidlines given and feel there should be clearer guidlines to support the user.

Last edited:
Sorry about your luck... My wife flooded your S90 with the Ikelite housing....

This is what we did about the camera

Signed on to Canon's support webpage and and went to the arrange the repair section. I received a repair number and sent the camera in.. They do not cover water damage but under their program they will give you an estimate to fix the camera. If the estimate is higher then the camera is worth they will sell you a refurbished camera at a reduced price.. Which is what we did.

On the Housing. I took it to an authorized Ikelite dealer who pressure tested the housing and found it was defective where the strobe plate connects to the housing. I packaged it up and sent the housing along with details from my visit to the authorized dealer.. I heard nothing from Ikelite until one day the housing shows up and saying it must have been operater error. Of course I did not get anything in writing.. So leason learned..

Back
Top Bottom