Flooded Inon Wet Lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakelldy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone encountered an Inon wet lens that flooded inside the lens?

I sold my UCL 100 to someone. It was okay on the first dive. On her second dive, she says that the lens flooded inside about halfway through. She sent me this photo. She says that she didn't drop it or bump it or anything.

Have never encountered or heard of a wet lens flooding.

Attachments

• IMG-20161211-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20161211-WA0003.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 129
I have never used a wet lens before, so forgive me if this is "out to lunch". I always thought that a wet lens was one that could be put on or taken off while under water. Therefore, by definition, wouldn't it be flooded? It sounds to me as though the person put it on before the dive, and that during the dive it gradually filled with water, giving the impression of "flooding". I could be wrong, but if they simply removed and replaced the wet lens while under water, it would have cleared up the issue. I also thought that they were typically designed to function best based on the optical properties of water not of air.

Like I said, I have never used a wet lens, so I could be totally wrong.

I have never used a wet lens before, so forgive me if this is "out to lunch". I always thought that a wet lens was one that could be put on or taken off while under water. Therefore, by definition, wouldn't it be flooded? It sounds to me as though the person put it on before the dive, and that during the dive it gradually filled with water, giving the impression of "flooding". I could be wrong, but if they simply removed and replaced the wet lens while under water, it would have cleared up the issue. I also thought that they were typically designed to function best based on the optical properties of water not of air.

Like I said, I have never used a wet lens, so I could be totally wrong.

Hi Hoag! That's exactly how a wet lens works! I also thought that was what she meant by "flooding" -- but in this case, the water got stuck inside the lens. And I've personally never come across or heard of a wet lens behaving like that, so that's why I'm asking here :). At least based on the photo, seems like there is still water inside -- in between the front and back of the lens.

It looks like the seal has been compromised... In theory it could be rebuilt. Whether it's worth it or not, I have no idea. I guess on the upside, there's nothing to "wreck" inside although I'd be inclined to bury it a bag of rice for a few days to dry it out.

Either way, if that's salt water, and maybe even if it's fresh water, it will likely leave spots when it dries making it somewhat useless. One way or another, it will probably have to be rebuilt.

My Subsee +5 has a couple water drop inside (much less than this lense). When I looked into getting it fixed a couple years ago this was what they said at Reefnet:
That said...we've seen a handful of lenses like that in the past. The water usually gets in if the lens has either had a sharp knock that jolted the seal briefly, or a quick change in temperature (eg. baking on a hot boat deck into cold water) which disrupts the seal in a similar way. Although these tiny droplets are visible at a distance, they may not impact your photographs visibly at all. If you haven't noticed any problems in your images, it might not be worth the cost to send it in. Just a thought.
I never got mine fixed and still use it. You cannot see the water drops in the pictures. I would try to dry in rice then test it.

Thank you for the advice Cali_diver and Stoo!!! Had her turn it over to the Inon dealer here -- the owner said he'll check it first. It was pretty wet inside and the front lens was moving around. Probably more than a bump, but she says she did not bump it.

Has anyone encountered an Inon wet lens that flooded inside the lens?

I sold my UCL 100 to someone. It was okay on the first dive. On her second dive, she says that the lens flooded inside about halfway through. She sent me this photo. She says that she didn't drop it or bump it or anything.

Have never encountered or heard of a wet lens flooding.

Interesting, and in answer to your question, NO haven't witnessed flooding in any of my Inon wet lenses, and have a couple macro wet lenses that have been used and abused for many years!!

It is my understanding that these type of lenses have a domed front lens and a flat back lens. It's not one big solid piece of glass. And they (at least some) have air inside, between the front and back glass, with O-rings to seal the air in and water out. Being a wet lens just means there is water between the back of the wet lens and the front, flat glass lens of the camera housing. I have read of people having their wet WA lens flood. Not sure if they were Inon or not.

You certainly wouldn't want that lens to work by filling all that area behind the dome with water. What if you were in highly turbid water and getting all that silt or particulate inside your dome lens. Sounds no good to me. I think the little bit of water between the housing and the wet lens is no big deal. But there's a lot more volume inside the wet lens' dome.

Assuming the Inon is supposed to just have air inside, it does seem like if you let it sitting out in direct sunlight during a SI then jumped into cold water the O-ring could be compromised. E.g. the air inside the dome gets hot (maybe really hot) then suddenly gets cooled quickly and contracts, pulling water in.

If there is any water in the lens it needs immediate service.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom