Flooded lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gearbow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just dropped a $1000.00 Sony 24mm f 1.8 lens into a Center in Mexico. Wondering if it is worth a dive to recover it. I'll probably be able to get it fairly easy but will take a half a day to get there and back.

Just the lens was dropped no power to lens. probably sitting in 25 30ft of water over the last day.

Brackish water.

I don't mind going back it is a beautiful cenote.

If I can find it what should I do with it after the fact? freshwater rinse, boil, alcohol then put in a plastic bag with desacant pellets and leave in the sun for a few days?

No idea really just looking for suggestions. Is it worth a shot?

I did contact the manufacturer to find out what the cost of rebuild might be. But no word back yet Sony 24mm f/1.8 ZA E-Mount Carl Zeiss Sonnar Lens SEL24F18Z B&H

Honestly, I think you should write this one off. The electronics will be totally fried and Sony/Zeiss lenses are not known for serviceability even in the best of conditions. Maybe you can claim it on travel insurance?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom