Flooding issues with Princeton Tec Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone tell me what is going on. I have had 3 different Princeton Tec lights (shockwaves and miniwave) that have flooded on me. It seems like after I change batteries for the first time time since purchasing new that is when the flooding occurs. After the first occurrence I have since been very careful about cleaning the threads, seat, & O-ring. I then reapply with some silicon lube. Despite my best efforts I have had little success keeping these lights dry (two have been completely ruined).

I am having a hard time believing that it is this difficult to keep these lights dry-or the company would be out of business. Maybe I am overtightening? Do I need to replace the O-ring? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

mg

I don't know, I have 3, but just got them. It is theoretically possible that you are over tightening or wearing out the o-ring by turning on / off too much. I suggest you contact them and maybe you can send them one and they can come to a conclusion or replace it, etc... You might also post to the manufacturer forum and get an answer from them or their reps... Princeton Tec - ScubaBoard

Are you putting to much silicon on them?

After three floods I wouldnt be looking for the reason Id be looking for a different brand of light, I know this doesnt help much with the current situation, you shouldnt need to be super careful they are simply O rings after all not new born babies. In just over ten years I have never had any issues with lights flooding, that being said Ive never owned a Princeton Tec light, in part because I have read more than one report of their lights flooding. Can you get your money back? if so take it and run. I own OMS lights, DR, Solus and Intovas and have had zero issues with any of them perhaps I have just been lucky. Princeton Tec sell a lot of lights so the odd flood is to be expected I guess just based on sheer volume, but 3 floods? you are either very unlucky, the lights are faulty or you are doing something that the lights dont like. As suggested above perhaps you should contact PT and discuss issues with them I have heard good things about their customer service. Good luck

Nah I've owed princeton lights for 17 years and never had a problem with them that I didn't cause myself.

Princeton Tech will replace any flooded light for free and will honor their warranty (can NOT say the same for UK (Underwater Kinetics). I suspect that you are putting too much grease on the O-rings?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom