Florida Drifter Rescued

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess Dan was just looking for a reason to get on a split-fin tear, as well as jump me? :confused:

I guess Dan was just looking for a reason to get on a split-fin tear, as well as jump me? :confused:
Yes to the splits, and as to you, this was in fun, MEANING having fun with you, and not at your expense....sometimes talking like this on the internet, instead of in person, really messes up a conversation....Sorry if it felt like I was giving you a hard time, I was not.

So, this guy is a commercial lobster diver, as evidenced by the:
JUNO BEACH, Fla. - When the freezer at Flash Beach Grille is empty, Robert Breining goes diving for lobster to put in it to serve fresh food to customers.
Now, I've seen some commercial fisherman with some pretty interesting gear, but I've never seen a commercial fisherman not wear either long blades or jet-style fins. Either the guy is a poacher, or something else is fishy here.

Urban Spoon says the owner of the Flash Beach Grille is Anita and Rob. Reviews for 2012 aren't too convincing, though.....

I'm not seeing where the story says he was shore diving. I know of nothing off Juno Beach that someone would swim out and find bugs. Are we sure that is the case?
There is that rubble pile from the Donald Duck bridge off of green roofs in Jupiter that can be made by swimming from shore. But anything there would have long since been picked over.

The article says absolutely nothing about how he got in the water. When reading it I thought that it was a weird place to start a story 'things got a little dicey...I ended up six miles away' that really only tells us the end result... And not even the entire end result. If diving from a boat, was he alone? If not was the boat found? Was there a bottom current that swept him away or a surface current? So many questions, absolutely no answers in the story.

The story does say he was being searched for by boats near shore...the one that found him was out closer to the reefs....This kind of strange unless he had been shore diving, and went way to far out for his ability and stamina.

There was no discussion of his own boat losing him....you would think that would have been in the story, unless it was a shore dive.....I also think one of the TV stories on this called it a shore dive...but reporters in Palm beach have never had much interest in getting the facts correct on a dive accident....We should be thankful the story did not discuss him having run out of oxygen, or being threatened by schools of marauding sharks. :)

---------- Post Merged at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:49 PM ----------

And now I have heard another rumour, one which excludes the shore diving scenario.....
And while I am not going to comment on this issues that I think occurred, I am still going to enjoy saying that had he been shore diving with split fins, this is a scenario to be fearful of....As it turns out, this was not a shore dive, and not an event I can blame on split fins...as much as it pains me to admit :)

The story does say he was being searched for by boats near shore...the one that found him was out closer to the reefs....This kind of strange unless he had been shore diving, and went way to far out for his ability and stamina.

There was no discussion of his own boat losing him....you would think that would have been in the story, unless it was a shore dive.....I also think one of the TV stories on this called it a shore dive...but reporters in Palm beach have never had much interest in getting the facts correct on a dive accident....We should be thankful the story did not discuss him having run out of oxygen, or being threatened by schools of marauding sharks. :)

---------- Post Merged at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:49 PM ----------

And now I have heard another rumour, one which excludes the shore diving scenario.....
And while I am not going to comment on this issues that I think occurred, I am still going to enjoy saying that had he been shore diving with split fins, this is a scenario to be fearful of....As it turns out, this was not a shore dive, and not an event I can blame on split fins...as much as it pains me to admit :)
There was an issue with his life vest however. Of that I'm certain.

---------- Post Merged at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:57 PM ----------

So, this guy is a commercial lobster diver, as evidenced by the:Now, I've seen some commercial fisherman with some pretty interesting gear, but I've never seen a commercial fisherman not wear either long blades or jet-style fins. Either the guy is a poacher, or something else is fishy here.

Urban Spoon says the owner of the Flash Beach Grille is Anita and Rob. Reviews for 2012 aren't too convincing, though.....
Same thoughts crossed my mind. And I noodled as to whether a rec fisherman can market his catch.
I don't think so. But I may be way off base.

And I noodled as to whether a rec fisherman can market his catch.
I don't think so. But I may be way off base.

In the State of Florida a recreational fisherman may no longer sell his catch commercially under any circumstances. It's a big deal, and the fines are stiff, like, the fine is whatever FWC proved you didn't report dollar for dollar. My guess, however, is that the guy was out for a swim and the reporter made up all kinds of stuff to make the story better as soon as they found out that he owned a seafood restaurant. Kinda like running out of oxygen. I've never seen such bad reporting as South Florida, especially where reporters should know better. I can't tell you how many times the Spree is referred to as a "commercial dive boat".

I'm sure he was in shark infested waters but they left that out.

Back
Top Bottom